Posted to dev@stratos.apache.org by Praneesha Chandrasiri <pr...@wso2.com> on 2014/04/24 05:32:23 UTC

Cartridge Events Diagram

Hi Mari,

Please find the $subject attached.

Also please let me know if any improvements are required.

--
Thanks & Best Regards,
*Praneesha Chandrasiri*

Re: Cartridge Events Diagram

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
> I did not get External repo -> Stratos repo -> Instances thing imesh. Its
just sync artifact repo.

> I think what vanson telling some cases, configuration artifact need to
place before start the servers. (if them not support hot deploy). In that
cases, this is very valid point.

Thanks Lakmal, yes I misunderstood "starting server" with "starting
cartridge instance". I agree, we could checkout artifacts before starting
the server in a future release.

Thanks

Re: Cartridge Events Diagram

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.

--
Lakmal Warusawithana
Mobile : +94714289692

Re: Cartridge Events Diagram

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@wso2.com>.
On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 3:26 AM, Vanson Lim <vl...@cisco.com> wrote:

> On 4/25/14, 1:23 PM, Isuru Haththotuwa wrote:
>
>> Hi Vanson,
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:11 PM, Vanson Lim <vl...@cisco.com> wrote:
>>
>>    I had a question after looking at the revised diagram.
>>>
>>> Between the events   "publish instance started event to Cloud Controller"
>>> ->"start servers"
>>>
>>> Is the git repo pulled down and available to use to derive config used to
>>> start server?  This could be useful for delivering configuration using
>>> the
>>> ADC that is used to configure the server before starting it.  This is a
>>> little bit different from the model I've seen where artifacts are hot
>>> deployed into servers after it starts.
>>>
>>> The ADC artifacts could be used during the start server event to
>>>
>>> 1) provide config for bootstrapping the install ou f the server binaries
>>>
>>> 2) Post install configure to complete server setup
>>> 3) deploying server run time config,  like application policies
>>>
>>> Interesting thought.
>>>
>> Currently, the server startup configuration is provided through an
>> instance
>> acting as a Puppet Master [1], at the time of instance start up. The git
>> repository is used to synchronize application artifacts (a php application
>> in case of a php instance, etc.) across a cluster. A user can upload the
>> artifacts to the git repository, configure a git hook so that artifacts
>> are
>> updated on the fly, across the cluster [2].
>>

> So in some cases where installing puppet into the cartridge is not
> practical or used, a cartridge should rely on its own artifact fetching
> mechanism for package config as the current "application artifact
> synchronization" mechanism as implemented can't be used for server
> bootstrapping and post install config.
>
> Just wanted to point out that moving the code that perform a git pull
> before the start server phase, preserves the ability to perform application
> artifact deployment but would also allow the artifact repository to be also
> used for other types of artifacts distribution.

Good thought Vanson. This is a way of using the same git repository to sync
initial server configs as well as application artifacts. However,
Puppet/Chef are specifically designed to cater the problem of getting
initial configs/artifacts and periodic updates from a single place, and are
widely used in large deployments. Maybe we can use a git repository for
simpler scenarios. WDYT?

> Thanks,
>
> -Vanson
>
>> [1].
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.
>> 0.0+Configuring+Puppet+Master
>>
>> [2].
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.
>> 0.0+Automated+Deployment+Synchronization
>>
>>  -Vanson
>>>

>>> On 4/24/14, 4:58 AM, Praneesha Chandrasiri wrote:
>>>
>>> Did a correction in adding the recursion for "publish stats to CEP".
>>>
>>> Please find the revised diagram attached.
>>>

>>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM, Praneesha Chandrasiri<
>>> praneesha@wso2.com> <pr...@wso2.com>wrote:
>>>

>>>   Hi Rekha,
>>>
>>> Thanks for reviewing.
>>>
>>> Attached is the revised diagram with the changes included as discussed.
>>>

>>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 10:32 AM, Reka Thirunavukkarasu <re...@wso2.com>
>>> <re...@wso2.com>wrote:
>>>

>>>   Hi
>>>
>>> I have gone through it..It needs few modification as following after the
>>> Member started Event to Instance Status topic.
>>>
>>>   Member Started Event --> start servers --> wait for port Active -->
>>> publish instance activated event
>>>                                      --> artifact updated event
>>>                      --> start health checker
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Reka
>>>

>>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 9:57 AM, Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>
>>> <ma...@wso2.com>wrote:
>>>

>>>   Thanks, Praneesha!
>>>
>>> Can someone please let us know whether this diagram is ok.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Mariangela
>>>

>>> *--*
>>> Mariangela Hills
>>> Senior Technical Writer
>>>
>>> *WSO2, Inc.*lean.enterprise.middleware.
>>> m: +94 773 500185
>>> w: http://wso2.com
>>>   <http://wso2.com/events/> <http://wso2.com/events/>
>>>

>>> On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Praneesha Chandrasiri <
>>> praneesha@wso2.com> wrote:
>>>

>>>   Hi Mari,
>>>
>>> Please find the $subject attached.
>>>
>>> Also please let me know if any improvements are required.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks & Best Regards,
>>> *Praneesha Chandrasiri*
>>> *Technical Writer*
>>>   *WSO2 Inc. *
>>> *Mobile: +(94) 718156888 <%2B%2894%29%20718156888>*
>>> *E-mail: praneesha@wso2.com <pr...@wso2.com> <pr...@wso2.com>*
>>>

>>>    --
>>> Reka Thirunavukkarasu
>>> Software Engineer,
>>> WSO2, Inc.:http://wso2.com,
>>> Mobile: +94776442007
>>>

>>>   --
>>> Thanks & Best Regards,
>>> *Praneesha Chandrasiri*
>>> *Technical Writer*
>>> *WSO2 Inc. *
>>> *Mobile: +(94) 718156888 <%2B%2894%29%20718156888>*
>>> *E-mail: praneesha@wso2.com <pr...@wso2.com> <pr...@wso2.com>*

--
Thanks and Regards,

Isuru H.
+94 716 358 048* <http://wso2.com/>*

Re: Cartridge Events Diagram

Posted by Lakmal Warusawithana <la...@wso2.com>.
On Sat, Apr 26, 2014 at 3:26 AM, Vanson Lim <vl...@cisco.com> wrote:

> On 4/25/14, 1:23 PM, Isuru Haththotuwa wrote:
>
>> Hi Vanson,
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 25, 2014 at 10:11 PM, Vanson Lim <vl...@cisco.com> wrote:
>>
>>    I had a question after looking at the revised diagram.
>>>
>>> Between the events   "publish instance started event to Cloud Controller"
>>> ->"start servers"
>>>
>>> Is the git repo pulled down and available to use to derive config used to
>>> start server?  This could be useful for delivering configuration using
>>> the
>>> ADC that is used to configure the server before starting it.  This is a
>>> little bit different from the model I've seen where artifacts are hot
>>> deployed into servers after it starts.
>>>
>>> The ADC artifacts could be used during the start server event to
>>>
>>> 1) provide config for bootstrapping the install ou f the server binaries
>>>
>>> 2) Post install configure to complete server setup
>>> 3) deploying server run time config,  like application policies
>>>
>>> Interesting thought.
>>>
>> Currently, the server startup configuration is provided through an
>> instance
>> acting as a Puppet Master [1], at the time of instance start up. The git
>> repository is used to synchronize application artifacts (a php application
>> in case of a php instance, etc.) across a cluster. A user can upload the
>> artifacts to the git repository, configure a git hook so that artifacts
>> are
>> updated on the fly, across the cluster [2].
>>

> So in some cases where installing puppet into the cartridge is not
> practical or used, a cartridge should rely on its own artifact fetching
> mechanism for package config as the current "application artifact
> synchronization" mechanism as implemented can't be used for server
> bootstrapping and post install config.
>
> Just wanted to point out that moving the code that perform a git pull
> before the start server phase, preserves the ability to perform application
> artifact deployment but would also allow the artifact repository to be also
> used for other types of artifacts distribution.

+1, IMO this is good idea. thanks Vanson. will take this into next release.

Posted by Vanson Lim <vl...@cisco.com>.

Posted by Isuru Haththotuwa <is...@apache.org>.
Hi Vanson,

Posted by Vanson Lim <vl...@cisco.com>.
I had a question after looking at the revised diagram.

Between the events   "publish instance started event to Cloud Controller" ->"start servers"

Is the git repo pulled down and available to use to derive config used to start server?  This could be useful for delivering configuration
using the ADC that is used to configure the server before starting it.  This is a little bit different from the model I've seen where
artifacts are hot deployed into servers after it starts.

The ADC artifacts could be used during the start server event to

    1) provide config for bootstrapping the install of the server binaries

Posted by Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>.
Imesh, is the one who drew the first sketch for this diagram. Thanks
everyone for all the help!

Regards,
Mariangela

*--*

Posted by Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>.
Updated the image further to capture the Instance Clean-up Member event
and Instance Clean-up Cluster event separately.

Regards,
Mariangela

*--*

Posted by Imesh Gunaratne <im...@apache.org>.
It looks great!!

Posted by Mariangela Hills <ma...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Praneesha Chandrasiri <pr...@wso2.com>.
Thanks a lot for the support Reka & everyone! :)

Posted by Reka Thirunavukkarasu <re...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Praneesha Chandrasiri <pr...@wso2.com>.

Posted by Praneesha Chandrasiri <pr...@wso2.com>.
Hi Rekha,