Posted to legal-discuss@apache.org by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com> on 2019/11/15 18:55:14 UTC

More Eyes Requested: Bundling GPL+CPE (OpenJDK) into convenience binaries. (LEGAL-488, LEGAL-489)

Dear all,

May I ask for more eyes on for our legal guidance for bundling GPL + CPE
with convenience binaries. Henri Yandell was really kind to pick this
one up, but wider range of people and opinion would be better.

Thank you in advance!

Laszlo Kishalmi

in behalf of Apace NetBeans PMC

Re: More Eyes Requested: Bundling GPL+CPE (OpenJDK) into convenience binaries. (LEGAL-488, LEGAL-489)

Posted by Fantri Fitriani <fa...@gmail.com>.
Pada tanggal Sab, 16 Nov 2019 02.55, Laszlo Kishalmi <

Posted by Simon IJskes <si...@ijskes.org>.
On 17-11-19 20:36, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 at 20:29, Simon IJskes <simon@ijskes.org
> <ma...@ijskes.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 17-11-19 20:12, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
>
>      > No, many of them are not developers. Many of them have not typed one
>      > single character of code. They’re at a college or university.
>     They have
>      > no idea what NetBeans is and what Java is.
>
>     Ok, would Oracle consider hosting a Netbeans starter package?
>

> Many organizations can consider that.
>
> The point is that ideally Apache would consider that too. Apache is
> where NetBeans comes from now and ideally the convenience binary
> provided by Apache would include the JDK.

I agree. Short of looking to the website if we can do this, i hope the
board can provide some guidance here.

I wouldnt be surprised if we do this, and neither if we don't. Is it
principles vs pragmatism? We have been here before.

>      > Please consider thinking from the above perspective. What
>     impression are
>      > they getting of Apache?
>
>     That the kind of license you choose is important?
>

> Indeed. But what choice do we have when it comes to the JDK?

Indeed. The choice is simple. We do or we don't.

Gr. Simon

Re: More Eyes Requested: Bundling GPL+CPE (OpenJDK) into convenience binaries. (LEGAL-488, LEGAL-489)

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 17 Nov 2019 at 20:29, Simon IJskes <si...@ijskes.org> wrote:

> On 17-11-19 20:12, Geertjan Wielenga wrote:
>
> > No, many of them are not developers. Many of them have not typed one
> > single character of code. They’re at a college or university. They have
> > no idea what NetBeans is and what Java is.
>
> Ok, would Oracle consider hosting a Netbeans starter package?

Many organizations can consider that.

The point is that ideally Apache would consider that too. Apache is where
NetBeans comes from now and ideally the convenience binary provided by
Apache would include the JDK.

> > Please consider thinking from the above perspective. What impression are
> > they getting of Apache?
>
> That the kind of license you choose is important?

Indeed. But what choice do we have when it comes to the JDK?

Gj

Posted by Simon IJskes <si...@ijskes.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
Just adding to the user base: NetBeans is used as a main training tool
even in high-school for kids who do not have any developer experience,
it is just their first introduction to (mostly Java) programming.

Also we got many 1 star review on the Snap store, saying Apache NetBeans
is "does not work/crap" due to the users does not read that the
requirement is an installed JDK. Well, it might be a user problem, but
users are changing too.

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@apache.org>.

Posted by Simon IJskes <si...@apache.org>.

Posted by Dave Fisher <wa...@comcast.net>.
Hi -

On very rare occasions the legal affairs committee has granted special exceptions for certain project’s binary convenience packages. OpenOffice is one example. IMO NetBeans could make a similar request.

Best Regards,
Dave

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Simon IJskes <si...@ijskes.org>.

 From https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-x

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 7:48 PM Simon IJskes <si...@ijskes.org> wrote:

> On 17-11-19 18:30, Jan Lahoda wrote:
>
> > I believe the 3rd party license policy allows to include e.g. EPL
> > binaries in the convenience binaries:
> > https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b
> >
> > So Apache projects are *already* allowed to distribute binaries with
> > different licenses than the Apache License. The only question is,
> > whether this could be (either on a case-by-case basis, or generally)
> > extended to GPL+CPE.
>
> On https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#prohibited it states:
>
> > They may not be distributed
> >
> > Apache projects may not distribute Category X licensed components, be it
> in source or binary form; and be it in ASF source code or convenience
> binaries.
>
> GPL is still Cat-X.

As Lazslo pointed out, we are talking of GPL+CPE here, can we please use
the more precise description to avoid confusion?

Anyway, correct, GPL+CPE is still Cat-X. Hence these requests, which
basically are "can we please allow GPL+CPE components, either in some
specific defined approved cases, or more generally?".

> >     Now for our creativity, and technical mastery. It is certainly
> possible
> >     to create software that is ASL licensed, and is capable of combining
> >     several pieces of software with different licenses on the system of
> the
> >     user. Take for instance maven.
> >
> >     A maven based solution or equivalent solves the problem of the
> >     combination of licenses, en moves the decision to distribute a
> combined
> >     license product outside the ASF. The only thing left is the
> >     bootstrap of
> >     the installation of the openjdk. As most users of Netbeans are
> >     developers, can we trust them with installing a or any JDK on their
> >     system?
> >

> > Well, they can if they absolutely must. And is mostly the current state,
> > but as I see it has a negative impact on the user community (i.e. why
> > should they use Apache NetBeans when they can use a different IDE, which
> > is easier to set-up? Including the old non-Apache NetBeans, if they
> > prefer NetBeans over a different IDE.) The community members simply want
> > a tool to do their job, not something that requires complex set-up and
> > care. And this then has negative impact on the developer community.
>
> As i said before, whe would certainly more popular as before when we
> started to distribute GPL licensed software (and other Cat X) as well. I
> think we would broadly agree (maybe not in magnitude) that it has an
> effect.
>
> A practical solution would be to ask Oracle if they want to host a
> Netbeans starter package.
>
> Again, i would like to emphasize, the Netbeans users are developers. And
> would a solution be really complex to setup and care? As soon as a JDK
> is on a workstation, it is plain sailing.
>

> > (I wonder - on an extreme end of this path is "Apache NetBeans" just a
> > 100 lines bash script that installs everything from other sources.
>
> Indeed. Extreme end.
>
> > Besides the obvious question on who would want to use a tool like this,
> > is this really the direction we want to take?)
>
> To be blunt, it wasnt the ASF who determined the OpenJDK needed to be
> licensed under the GPL+CPE. The incompatibility between ASL and GPL is
> long known.

Well, so far, I didn't hear that *GPL+CPE* would be incompatible with ASL.
Is it?

Jan

Posted by Simon IJskes <si...@ijskes.org>.

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 5:30 PM Simon IJskes <si...@apache.org> wrote:

> Opinion:
>
> I found this in the license FAQ:
>
> > Can ASF PMCs host projects that are not under the Apache License?
> >
> > No. If you are an ASF PMC with a truly exceptional situation, please
> create a JIRA issue.

I believe the 3rd party license policy allows to include e.g. EPL binaries
in the convenience binaries:
https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b

So Apache projects are *already* allowed to distribute binaries with
different licenses than the Apache License. The only question is, whether
this could be (either on a case-by-case basis, or generally) extended to
GPL+CPE.

To host, distribute, either source code or a convenience binary, is all
> the same thing. It is distribution. This is by permission from an author
> or a rights-holder (some variations in different countries, but
> grosso-modo the same).
>
> As long as you keep to the rules of the license there is no problem. A
> entitity can decide to distribute or not.
>
> But who is the distributing entity? In this case it is the ASF. So if we
> look in our bylaws there is no guidance. It is an exception. Exception
> needs to be escalated to the board, with a clear defined proposal.
>
> But, i've until now never seen a case that proved successfully the real
> need to distribute software (of any kind, source or binary) with a
> different license than the ASL.
>
> Now for our creativity, and technical mastery. It is certainly possible
> to create software that is ASL licensed, and is capable of combining
> several pieces of software with different licenses on the system of the
> user. Take for instance maven.
>
> A maven based solution or equivalent solves the problem of the
> combination of licenses, en moves the decision to distribute a combined
> license product outside the ASF. The only thing left is the bootstrap of
> the installation of the openjdk. As most users of Netbeans are
> developers, can we trust them with installing a or any JDK on their system?

Well, they can if they absolutely must. And is mostly the current state,
but as I see it has a negative impact on the user community (i.e. why
should they use Apache NetBeans when they can use a different IDE, which is
easier to set-up? Including the old non-Apache NetBeans, if they prefer
NetBeans over a different IDE.) The community members simply want a tool to
do their job, not something that requires complex set-up and care. And this
then has negative impact on the developer community.

(I wonder - on an extreme end of this path is "Apache NetBeans" just a 100
lines bash script that installs everything from other sources. Besides the

Posted by Fantri Fitriani <fa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Hen <ba...@apache.org>.

Posted by Laszlo Kishalmi <la...@gmail.com>.
On 11/17/19 8:29 AM, Simon IJskes wrote:
> But, i've until now never seen a case that proved successfully the
> real need to distribute software (of any kind, source or binary) with
> a different license than the ASL.
It would not be a different license. The CPE would allow these
convenience binaries to be copied and distributed under ASL ans terms,
of course in the case if ASL terms would allow that.

     As a special exception, the copyright holders of this library give you
     permission to link this library with independent modules to produce an
     executable, regardless of the license terms of these independent modules,
     and

     *to copy and distribute the resulting executable under terms of your choice***
     , provided that you also meet, for each linked independent module,
     the terms and conditions of the license of that module

Re: More Eyes Requested: Bundling GPL+CPE (OpenJDK) into convenience binaries. (LEGAL-488, LEGAL-489)

Posted by Simon IJskes <si...@apache.org>.
Opinion:

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Simon IJskes <si...@apache.org>.