Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Alexander Cherednichenko <le...@gmail.com> on 2012/07/12 21:36:23 UTC

Brix CMS and Jackrabbit - tech stack decision question

Hi all!

We need to make a webapp which is like 50% custom coding and 50% CMS -
there is some specific logic but main skeleton of the app should be
modifiable via web interface .

I was considering Brix CMS and Jackrabbit as a JCR to go. We could build
our logic in tiles/plain wicket pages. However, I am not familiar with the
JCR concept and implementation.

Customer are start-up, so they will be starting with few users but we need
to make it scalable - we may have no time for rewriting.
Question that I have -- maybe someone out here knows:

   - Brix CMS. I spent a day looking into it. I really enjoyed the concept
   and API and te way it looks. However, I can see it is not widely supported,
   code contains commented blocks etc. Technically we have the ability to go
   with snapshot and fix issues on-the-go, but I'd like to know in advance how
   bad it is :). I can also see it is not much developed recently.
   - Clustering - OK, done that with wicket, all works OK. However,
   Jackrabbit documentation on clustering is a bit short, and it looks like
   clustering filesystem repositories is not a reliable thing (or it is now?)
   - General jackrabbit performance - say we will ave ~1k pages for the
   start, and a lot of binary resources (a kind of internal library of files).
   Up to what numbers would it work well? Are there any caveats?

Well, that's it.

Guys -- thanks a lot in advance; I'd really want to use this piece of tech.
Just making sure we won't run into trouble with it :)

--
Alexander Cherednichenko
[ the only way out is the way up ]

Re: Brix CMS and Jackrabbit - tech stack decision question

Posted by Martin Grigorov <mg...@apache.org>.
Hi,

You may ask these questions at Brix's mailing list.
See answers inline.

On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM, Alexander Cherednichenko
<le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> We need to make a webapp which is like 50% custom coding and 50% CMS -
> there is some specific logic but main skeleton of the app should be
> modifiable via web interface .
>
> I was considering Brix CMS and Jackrabbit as a JCR to go. We could build
> our logic in tiles/plain wicket pages. However, I am not familiar with the
> JCR concept and implementation.
>
> Customer are start-up, so they will be starting with few users but we need
> to make it scalable - we may have no time for rewriting.
> Question that I have -- maybe someone out here knows:
>
>    - Brix CMS. I spent a day looking into it. I really enjoyed the concept
>    and API and te way it looks. However, I can see it is not widely supported,
>    code contains commented blocks etc. Technically we have the ability to go
>    with snapshot and fix issues on-the-go, but I'd like to know in advance how
>    bad it is :). I can also see it is not much developed recently.

Branch 'wicket6' is more active these days.
The project definitely needs more active developers/bug reporters.

>    - Clustering - OK, done that with wicket, all works OK. However,
>    Jackrabbit documentation on clustering is a bit short, and it looks like
>    clustering filesystem repositories is not a reliable thing (or it is now?)

Jackrabiit can store in RDBMS as well, not only in the file system.
But better ask in Jackrabbit's mailing list about this.

>    - General jackrabbit performance - say we will ave ~1k pages for the
>    start, and a lot of binary resources (a kind of internal library of files).
>    Up to what numbers would it work well? Are there any caveats?

Brix uses JCR APIs so you can use a different implementation if
Jackrabbit is not good enough for you.
I know of one user that uses JBoss Modeshape instead.

> Well, that's it.
>
> Guys -- thanks a lot in advance; I'd really want to use this piece of tech.
> Just making sure we won't run into trouble with it :)

You may also check https://github.com/bricket/bricket.
AFAIK this is a fork of Brix.
I'm not sure how well maintained it is...
Recently its developers were active in testing Brix's wicket6 branch.

--
Martin Grigorov
jWeekend