Posted to dev@nuttx.apache.org by fft <ff...@feedforward.com.cn> on 2022/01/12 09:27:43 UTC

Support of SPARC architecture

Hi, Teams

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Two years ago, we tried to use NuttX on satellites, and I started the work to porting nuttx to BM3803,&nbsp; a SPARC V8 architecture chip manufactured by BMTI(Beijing Microelectronics Technology Institute) which is based on open source CPU core----LEON 2&nbsp; released by Cobham Gaisler.&nbsp; about the SPARC V8 and LEON 2 see :

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; https://www.gaisler.com/index.php/products/processors
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; BTW the chip of&nbsp; AT697F of ESA(European Space Agency) is also based on LEON 2 see:

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; https://amstel.estec.esa.int/tecedm/website/conferences/PresentationDays/AT697_Atmel.pdf

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I finished the whole work last year, Include architecture support code and board support code, I even completed and verified the Tickless OS mode and ELF file separate load on this SPARC V8 chip. Due to some reasons, the project leader did not adopt nuttx in the end, and I want to contribute code to the community.

&nbsp;&nbsp;

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The Toolchain of SPARC V8 is standard SPARC gnu gcc released by&nbsp; Gaisler which can be download at:

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; https://www.gaisler.com/index.php/downloads/compilers

&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; I initiated this discussion to seek your opinions, whether NuttX agree to include the SPARC arch in the scope of support ?

Best regards,
Zou

Re: Support of SPARC architecture

Posted by Tomasz CEDRO <to...@cedro.info>.
Hello Zou!

Congratulations!!

You did amazing work.. I know ESA is using LEON in their projects..
having NuttX support there would be a great benefit and prove that
NuttX really can run anywhere :-)

Also this would highly benefit to the academic community of space
engineering students and enthusiasts.. there are various student and
DIY projects where people could run NuttX + FPGA + LEON :-)

+1 from me :-)

Tomek CEDRO