Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Ulrik <u....@xweb.de> on 2001/08/08 16:29:24 UTC

Newbie question: FO files

Hi,

I recently downloaded FOP and played around with it since I was searching a
way to convert the XML-source of a website into a printable version (for
example creating a printable version of a xml-driven ecommerce-product
cataloge)

I wasn't able to produce a .pdf from my XMLs with the working XSL, but I was
successful with the "test" fo-files from the FOP distribution.

Now, what are Fo-files? (I said I was a newbie!)
Can I transform my XML into those .fo-files?

Thanx, any help is appreciated!

Ulrik

Re: Newbie question: FO files

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@yahoo.com>.

> and reading. I have the first two of Elliotte Rusty Harold's XML books.
> (Thanks!) Does the XML Bible 2nd Edition contain a lot of new information?

Elliotte says it does :-)

I've been told that my review of the 1st edition is out of date :-)

http://www.diversebooks.com:8088/examples/servlet/Turbine2/screen/MainMenu/screen/SearchResults/search/elliotte

>From Elliotte...

 If you're going to review it I'd appreciate it if you focus on the second edition which is not at
all out of date with respect to XSLT and XSL-FO. The first edition is most certainly out of date,
but it's also not being sold any more. The XSL-FO chapter from the second edition is at
 http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/bible2/chapters/ch18.html

Alex

=====
Alex McLintock        alex@OWAL.co.uk    Open Source Consultancy in London
OpenWeb Analysts Ltd, http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
SF and Computing Book News and Reviews: http://news.diversebooks.com/
Get Your XML T-Shirt <t-shirt/> at http://www.inversity.co.uk/

Re: Newbie question: FO files

Posted by Gary Frederick <ga...@jsoft.com>.
Thanks for the pointers! I'm reading the articles.
   and

I just joined this list and this solved my fo problem
   http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/05/16/wrestle.html

I was struggling to build a table that displayed a calender of events
for August. I could not get the page break to 'work'. The above article
pointed me in the right direction and we are now the proud owners of a
calender of events for August in pdf.

I find playing with working examples is a great way to learn.

and reading. I have the first two of Elliotte Rusty Harold's XML books.
(Thanks!) Does the XML Bible 2nd Edition contain a lot of new information?

Gary

Re: Newbie question: FO files

Posted by Ulrik <u....@xweb.de>.

Re: Newbie question: FO files

Posted by Ralph LaChance <Ra...@compuserve.com>.
At 03:29 PM 8/8/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Now, what are Fo-files? (I said I was a newbie!)
>Can I transform my XML into those .fo-files?
>
>Thanx, any help is appreciated!

I suggest you start here -- it is part I, with a link to part II

http://www.xml.com/lpt/a/2001/01/17/xsl-fo/index.html

Then follow up with this excellent chapter from a book
by Elliotte Rusy Harold (a correspondent on this list)

http://www.ibiblio.org/xml/books/bible2/chapters/ch18.html
better yet, buy it ;-)

         ' Best,
         -Ralph LaChance

Re: Newbie question: FO files

Posted by Ralph LaChance <Ra...@compuserve.com>.
At 04:03 PM 8/8/01 +0100, you wrote:
>If I understand it right, the problem is my XSL-stylesheet. The XML uses a
>DTD which makes conform XML-files, so this shouldn't be the problem. So I
>have to create a XSL-Stylesheet which is compatible with FOP. Am I right? If
>so, where can I find specifications?

As long as I'm flogging books:
XSLT 2nd Ed by Michael Kay covers everything you've asked,
(and then a whooooole lot more...)

         ' Best,
         -Ralph LaChance

Re: Newbie question: FO files

Posted by Ulrik <u....@xweb.de>.
Am 08.08.2001 16:38 Uhr schrieb "Alex McLintock" unter <al...@yahoo.com>:

> --- Ulrik <u....@xweb.de> wrote:
>
>> OK, so where can I find specifications about this fo-standard and how a
>> compliant XML looks like?
>
> How about looking at the FOP website and reading the docs.... The more you
> help
> yourself the better treatment you'll get from any mailinglist.

/As a member of more than one mailing list, I know that. I just couldn't
find the needed information yesterday and thought maybe some kind folks on
this list might push me into the right direction. I didn't mean to offend
anyone by posing a newbie question.

Ulrik

Re: Newbie question: FO files

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@yahoo.com>.
 --- Ulrik <u....@xweb.de> wrote:

> OK, so where can I find specifications about this fo-standard and how a
> compliant XML looks like?

How about looking at the FOP website and reading the docs.... The more you help
yourself the better treatment you'll get from any mailinglist.

Some useful pages on the fop website include:

http://xml.apache.org/fop/resources.html
http://xml.apache.org/fop/examples.html

And you might need http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/CR-xsl-20001121/
though this is pretty unreadable and covers lots of stuff not yet implemented in
FOP.

I'd really recommend looking at the examples and understanding them.

Alex

=====

Re: Newbie question: FO files

Posted by Ulrik <u....@xweb.de>.
Am 08.08.2001 15:51 Uhr schrieb "Alex McLintock" unter <al...@yahoo.com>:

> --- Ulrik <u....@xweb.de> wrote: > Hi,
>>
>> I recently downloaded FOP and played around with it since I was searching a
>> way to convert the XML-source of a website into a printable version (for
>> example creating a printable version of a xml-driven ecommerce-product
>> cataloge)
>>
>> I wasn't able to produce a .pdf from my XMLs with the working XSL, but I was
>> successful with the "test" fo-files from the FOP distribution.
>>
>> Now, what are Fo-files? (I said I was a newbie!)
>
> FOP reads in XML in a particular XML format defined in the XSL:FO spec.
> We usually give these xml files the fo extension and call them fo files.
>

>> Can I transform my XML into those .fo-files?
>
> Some people take their XML and convert it into the alternative XML fo format
> prior to feeding to FOP. Hopefully you know enough XSL/XSLT to convert your
> XML into XSL:FO.

OK, so where can I find specifications about this fo-standard and how a
compliant XML looks like?
The problem I have (and maybe I am completely misunderstanding the FOP
project) is the following:
I have the content of a website in XML and an XSL-stylesheet, which
transforms this XML into HTML. This is done via an ASP-scripts which I run
after making any changes to the XML (since most browsers are not yet
XML-ready). Now I thought I could drop this XML and XSL files into FOP to
get a print-ready pdf.
If I understand it right, the problem is my XSL-stylesheet. The XML uses a
DTD which makes conform XML-files, so this shouldn't be the problem. So I
have to create a XSL-Stylesheet which is compatible with FOP. Am I right? If
so, where can I find specifications?

Sorry for the newbie questions ;)

Thanx!

Ulrik

Re: Newbie question: FO files

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@yahoo.com>.
 --- Ulrik <u....@xweb.de> wrote: > Hi,

> I recently downloaded FOP and played around with it since I was searching a
> way to convert the XML-source of a website into a printable version (for
> example creating a printable version of a xml-driven ecommerce-product
> cataloge)
>
> I wasn't able to produce a .pdf from my XMLs with the working XSL, but I was
> successful with the "test" fo-files from the FOP distribution.
>
> Now, what are Fo-files? (I said I was a newbie!)

FOP reads in XML in a particular XML format defined in the XSL:FO spec.
We usually give these xml files the fo extension and call them fo files.

> Can I transform my XML into those .fo-files?

Some people take their XML and convert it into the alternative XML fo format
prior to feeding to FOP. Hopefully you know enough XSL/XSLT to convert your
XML into XSL:FO.

Alex ("Whadya mean the web based FAQ isn't on port 80") McLintock

=====