Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Mark Bennett <mb...@ideaeng.com> on 2009/07/30 23:10:07 UTC

Solr/Lucene performance differences on Mac OS X running Tiger vs. Leopard ?

As far as our NOC guys know the machines are approximately the same, aside
from the OS.  The Leopard machine is running the default 1.5 JVM.

And it's possible that some other application or config issues is to blame.
Nobody's "blaming" the OS or Lucene, we're just asking around.

Searches on Google haven't turned up any reports, so I'm suspecting the
issue lies elsewhere.  Also I've run on Leopard for months without any
performance issues, though I really don't tax anything on my workstation.

--
Mark Bennett / New Idea Engineering, Inc. / mbennett@ideaeng.com
Direct: 408-733-0387 / Main: 866-IDEA-ENG / Cell: 408-829-6513

Re: Solr/Lucene performance differences on Mac OS X running Tiger vs. Leopard ?

Posted by Mark Bennett <mb...@ideaeng.com>.
Grant said:
> I thought Apple promoted Leopard as being faster than Tiger...

I won't comment on what Apple thinks, but yes this was my understanding that
each version of the OS was getting faster, and then what they showed about
more thorough 64 bit support in Snow Leopard I'd expect the trend to
continue.

I don't have first-hand answers to any of your other questions, though
presumably the docs and traffic are similar as this was a box-for-box
upgrade.  I'll ask them to check the other JVM version from the old Tiger
machine, I'm guessing it's whatever the default was back then.  Though, I
wouldn't expect JVMs to be getting worse in the performance department
either.

More importantly, nobody has chimed in with a "yes" about Tiger vs. Leopard,
and I've found no smoking gun online, so I'm thinking the OS upgrade is NOT
the issue.

Posted by Grant Ingersoll <gs...@apache.org>.
I thought Apple promoted Leopard as being faster than Tiger, so that
would be my guess.  Also, are they the same versions of 1.5? Are you
exercising them in the same way?  (same queries, docs, etc.?)

On Jul 30, 2009, at 5:10 PM, Mark Bennett wrote:

> As far as our NOC guys know the machines are approximately the same,
> aside
> from the OS.  The Leopard machine is running the default 1.5 JVM.
>
> And it's possible that some other application or config issues is to
> blame.
> Nobody's "blaming" the OS or Lucene, we're just asking around.
>
> Searches on Google haven't turned up any reports, so I'm suspecting
> the
> issue lies elsewhere.  Also I've run on Leopard for months without any
> performance issues, though I really don't tax anything on my
> workstation.
>
> --
> Mark Bennett / New Idea Engineering, Inc. / mbennett@ideaeng.com
> Direct: 408-733-0387 / Main: 866-IDEA-ENG / Cell: 408-829-6513

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

using Solr/Lucene:
http://www.lucidimagination.com/search