Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Yvonne Simmons <yv...@online.miller-motte.edu> on 2016/08/13 18:04:29 UTC

Research for School

Hello,
My name is Yvonne Simmons and I am doing some research on word processors
for school and I was wondering if you could help me out? Would you be
willing to give me three similarities and three differences between your
program and Microsoft Word I would highly appreciate it. Thank You for your
help.

Re: Research for School

Posted by nasrin khaksar <na...@gmail.com>.
hi.
i mentioned some different aspect which i observed.
1/ openoffice writer if opensource free product and microsoft office
word is not.
for example: even if you want to use only word, you should pay more
than one hundred dollars.
2/ openoffice writer has classic menu, and microsoft word has ribbon
menu since version 2007.
3/ openoffice is multi language and you can install all language packs
and dictionaries for free!
but even the languages which are used in microsoft office is commercial.
4/ openoffice writer is multi platform and microsoft office word has
not linux version.
5/ openoffice complete package is only 134 mb, but microsoft office
word only is near 400 mb!
hope thats help.
thanks and God bless you all.

On 8/16/16, Colby Menning <co...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just want to know how to set Viewing to 100% instead of stuck on Variable
> This is two icons down from File
> On Aug 15, 2016 5:00 PM, "Yvonne Simmons" <
> yvonne.simmons@online.miller-motte.edu> wrote:
>
>> Thank you all for your information it is greatly appreciated.
>>
>> On Sat, Aug 13, 2016 at 4:20 PM, Robert Funnell
>> <ro...@mcgill.ca>
>> wrote:

>> > For the record: LibreOffice can write the .docx format.
>> >
>> > - Robert

holy quran, chapter 7, verse 157.
al-islam.org

Re: Research for School

Posted by Colby Menning <co...@gmail.com>.

Re: Research for School

Posted by Yvonne Simmons <yv...@online.miller-motte.edu>.

Re: Research for School

Posted by Robert Funnell <ro...@mcgill.ca>.

Re: Research for School

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.
On 08/13/2016 02:14 PM, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> On 8/13/16, Yvonne Simmons <yv...@online.miller-motte.edu> wrote:
>> Hello,
>> My name is Yvonne Simmons and I am doing some research on word processors
>> for school and I was wondering if you could help me out? Would you be
>> willing to give me three similarities and three differences between your
>> program and Microsoft Word I would highly appreciate it. Thank You for your
>> help.
> Hello Yvonne.
>
> While it's nice that you are here and willing to interact with the
> Apache Open Office users community as a learning exercise, it's not so
> nice to ask for others just to reply to your assignment questions ;).
>
> In other words, you should be able to figure differences by yourself
> just by reading the Wikipedia entry for each program (eg: Wordperfect,
> Apache Open Office Writer, and Microsoft Word). And even better, if
> you took the time to install each program and test it  on your own.
>
> I will give you some clues, which will surely help you get started:
>
> 1. Apache Open Office is available in a version for the Linux
> operating system in addition to Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X.
> Microsoft Word does not have a Linux version.
> 2. Cost: Microsoft Word is not free, Apache Open Office is...
> 3. Think about the source code, and if modifications to the program
> are alllowed on each word processor.
>
> Oh, gotcha, I almost filled all 3. ;-)
>
> Of course, if you start using each you will also notice other
> differences with regards to the user interface.
>
> Good luck.
> ;-)
>
> FC
> Buenos Aires, Argentina.

Perhaps Yvonne doesn't own MS Word and does not want to spend the
money to buy it simply to write a short paper for school. OTOH, she
may be forced to buy it to satisfy her instructor. Perhaps the instructor
requires all papers to be submitted in .docx format.
I don't believe Open Office can write docx format output.

If docx format is required, SoftMakerOffice's word processor can do it
and there is a free version for non-commercial use. It doesn't have all
the bells and whistes of the paid version, which is in the $80 range. I
don't have any financial or other interest in Softmaker.

Goog luck, Yvonne!

Re: Research for School

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On 8/13/16, Yvonne Simmons <yv...@online.miller-motte.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
> My name is Yvonne Simmons and I am doing some research on word processors
> for school and I was wondering if you could help me out? Would you be
> willing to give me three similarities and three differences between your
> program and Microsoft Word I would highly appreciate it. Thank You for your
> help.

Hello Yvonne.

While it's nice that you are here and willing to interact with the
Apache Open Office users community as a learning exercise, it's not so
nice to ask for others just to reply to your assignment questions ;).

In other words, you should be able to figure differences by yourself
just by reading the Wikipedia entry for each program (eg: Wordperfect,
Apache Open Office Writer, and Microsoft Word). And even better, if
you took the time to install each program and test it  on your own.

I will give you some clues, which will surely help you get started:

1. Apache Open Office is available in a version for the Linux
operating system in addition to Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X.
Microsoft Word does not have a Linux version.
2. Cost: Microsoft Word is not free, Apache Open Office is...
3. Think about the source code, and if modifications to the program
are alllowed on each word processor.

Oh, gotcha, I almost filled all 3. ;-)

Of course, if you start using each you will also notice other
differences with regards to the user interface.

Good luck.
;-)

FC
Buenos Aires, Argentina.

act
Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un Acto
Revolucionario
- George Orwell