Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by chris brown <de...@reflexe.fr> on 2001/08/10 14:07:48 UTC

[TC4] mod_webapp

> Heyaaaa... Everyone needs to sleep sometime... I can't prepare binaries if
> I'm lying down on my bed with my eyes shut. :)

Your time *is* very much appreciated... I can wait, it's still quicker than
writing it myself !

> And anyway, there's not going to be a Win32 binary "today"... As I still
> don't have a Win32 C compiler...

Just wondered if was an oversight... what with sleep deprivation, and so on!
;-)  I'd happily compile it for you if I had a C compiler and knew how to
use it... ;-))

> > How else can I connect Tomcat 4 with an Apache server (1.3.20)?
>
> Dunno.... Kill windows, install a decent operating system (such as Solaris
> x86, BeOS, Darwin, FreeBSD etc etc etc) to have it working today :)

We already have Linux *and* Windows.  I prefer Linux (and Unix) by a long
way, and use it where possible, but we still "need" Windows for a few other
applications (i.e.: no equivalents for certain applications).  For various
reasons, we also need to deploy with NT/2000 sometimes, so it's nice to know
what's portable and what's not.

I was wondering if I could still use mod_jk...  or if mod_webapp will be the
only way for Tomcat 4.  I've also heard about using a JNI interface with
Apache 2, but I don't know how viable this option is (yet).

>     Pier

Just wanted to let you know that your work is appreciated, and that I'm not
a whining Windows user...!

Re: [TC4] mod_webapp

Posted by "Pier P. Fumagalli" <pi...@betaversion.org>.
chris brown at dev@reflexe.fr wrote:

>> Heyaaaa... Everyone needs to sleep sometime... I can't prepare binaries if
>> I'm lying down on my bed with my eyes shut. :)
>
> Your time *is* very much appreciated... I can wait, it's still quicker than
> writing it myself !

Cool..

>> And anyway, there's not going to be a Win32 binary "today"... As I still
>> don't have a Win32 C compiler...
>
> Just wondered if was an oversight... what with sleep deprivation, and so on!
> ;-)  I'd happily compile it for you if I had a C compiler and knew how to
> use it... ;-))

The problem is building the makefiles :)

>>> How else can I connect Tomcat 4 with an Apache server (1.3.20)?
>>
>> Dunno.... Kill windows, install a decent operating system (such as Solaris
>> x86, BeOS, Darwin, FreeBSD etc etc etc) to have it working today :)
>
> We already have Linux *and* Windows.

Both not my #1 choice, but at least Linux has fork() :)

> I was wondering if I could still use mod_jk...  or if mod_webapp will be the
> only way for Tomcat 4.  I've also heard about using a JNI interface with
> Apache 2, but I don't know how viable this option is (yet).

AFAIK, there is some AJPv14 that is supposed to work with TC4. I never tried
it though... I don't even know if it's working.

The WebApp module is compliant with WatchDog, so meaning that right now I
can ask for compliancy to the servlet spec... And it's coming better every
day...

> Just wanted to let you know that your work is appreciated, and that I'm not
> a whining Windows user...!

:)

    Pier