Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Robillard, Greg L" <gr...@lmco.com> on 2010/11/10 15:50:43 UTC

Tomcat application with memory leak

Version: 6.0.26

I currently have 2 apps deployed in my tomcat container.  I originally was running tomcat with 1024M of memory.  The symptom was the applications would stop responding after approximately 5 days.  The log stated there was out of memory errors.

Symptoms:

1. Users could not access either of the applications within the tomcat container 2. Tomcat did not respond to the shutdown script (had to be killed with kill -9) 3. Tomcat log files had stopped responding.
4. There were a  lot of messages (134) "java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space" in the localhost* logfile (normally there are a few or none)

In an attempt to resolve the problem, I increased memory to 2048.  This allows the applications to work for about 3 weeks before like symptoms happen.

I have two questions:

1.  How can I run 2 tomcat containers on the same server, so I can separate the applications for further debugging.
2.  What are some steps to use in identifying the problem.

Best regards,

Greg

RE: Tomcat application with memory leak

Posted by "Caldarale, Charles R" <Ch...@unisys.com>.
> From: Robillard, Greg L [mailto:greg.l.robillard@lmco.com]
> Subject: Tomcat application with memory leak

> In an attempt to resolve the problem, I increased memory to 2048.

That doesn't resolve it, it merely postpones it - as you discovered.

> How can I run 2 tomcat containers on the same server, so I
> can separate the applications for further debugging.

You would have to configure them for different IP addresses or ports - which would likely impact your clients.  You might well spend more time on that than you would in fixing the real problem.

> 2.  What are some steps to use in identifying the problem.

Run a profiler or other heap analysis tool to find out where your webapps are leaking memory.  Take a look at these for more information:

http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/FAQ/Memory
http://wiki.apache.org/tomcat/OutOfMemory

 - Chuck

Re: Tomcat application with memory leak

Posted by Pid <pi...@pidster.com>.
On 10/11/2010 14:50, Robillard, Greg L wrote:
> Version: 6.0.26
>
> I currently have 2 apps deployed in my tomcat container.  I originally was running tomcat with 1024M of memory.  The symptom was the applications would stop responding after approximately 5 days.  The log stated there was out of memory errors.

Can you start a completely new thread please?

This is an edited reply to the somewhat lengthy "Re: DBCP abandoned
trace - unable to understand the leak" thread & appears inside it if you
view mail in threaded view.

You can't just edit the subject & body - it doesn't remove the mail
thread id header.