Posted to user@abdera.apache.org by Alistair Miles <al...@googlemail.com> on 2011/01/21 10:49:03 UTC

abdera client default accept header

Hi abdera folks,

Not sure if this is important, but I was doing some work on implementing
server-driven conneg for an atom protocol implementation yesterday and
noticed that the default accept header sent by abdera client 1.1.1...

application/atom+xml;type=entry, application/atom+xml;type=feed, application/atom+xml, application/atomsvc+xml, application/atomcat+xml, application/xml, text/xml, */*

...could probably do with some quality values.

As it is, because there are no q-values, if the server has a slight preference
for anything other than atom, then the abdera client will *not* get atom, because
of the catch-all "*/*". Dealing with this kind of accept header requires the
server to fiddle q-values as described in the apache server conneg docs [1].

While many servers implementing conneg will probably fiddle quality scores
as per apache, abdera client might better send an accept header like:

application/atom+xml;type=entry; q=1.0, application/atom+xml;type=feed; q=1.0, application/atom+xml; q=1.0, application/atomsvc+xml; q=1.0, application/atomcat+xml; q=1.0, application/xml; q=0.5, text/xml; q=0.5, */*; q=0.01

Cheers, keep up the great work.

Alistair

[1] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/content-negotiation.html#better

--