Posted to dev@geronimo.apache.org by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl> on 2008/04/02 22:36:11 UTC

eclipse as a top-level directory in GEP zip file?

Hi,

Just noticed that all Eclipse plugins I've recently worked with had
their deployable zip files with eclipse as the top-level directory. I
think we should change how GEP is assembled with eclipse as its
top-level directory. What do you think?

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski
http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Re: eclipse as a top-level directory in GEP zip file?

Posted by Shiva Kumar H R <sh...@gmail.com>.
I too agree. Would be consistent across other plug-ins.

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 2:06 AM, Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just noticed that all Eclipse plugins I've recently worked with had
> their deployable zip files with eclipse as the top-level directory. I
> think we should change how GEP is assembled with eclipse as its
> top-level directory. What do you think?
>
> Jacek
>
> --
> Jacek Laskowski
> http://www.JacekLaskowski.pl

Shiva

Re: eclipse as a top-level directory in GEP zip file?

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.
Yes, I use this function as well and it simplifies management of my various
Eclipse plugins much simpler.....

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  It is also nice to have just plugins and features rather than
>> eclipse\plugins and eclipse\features when you have different versions of
>> eclipse and change the directory to eclipse3.2 eclipse3.3 eclipse7.1 etc.
>
> The real solution to the issue is to use Eclipse's extension locations
> so you define a link file in links directory (beneath the Eclipse home
> directory) where you point out the directory with plugins to be
> included, i.e.
>
> jlaskowski@work /cygdrive/c/apps/eclipse
> $ ls -l links/
> total 9
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 44 Feb 11 08:49 GEF.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 35 Mar 27 13:54 ajdt.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 45 Feb 11 08:53 dtp.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 54 Feb 11 08:49 emf-sdo-xsd.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 54 Mar 31 10:50 geronimo-eclipse-plugin.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 40 Feb 14 04:20 m2eclipse.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 53 Feb 23 23:32 openejb-eclipse-plugin.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 43 Feb 14 09:01 wicket-bench.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 42 Feb 14 09:01 wtp.link
>
> jlaskowski@work /cygdrive/c/apps/eclipse
> $ cat links/geronimo-eclipse-plugin.link
> path=C:/apps/eclipse-plugins/geronimo-eclipse-plugin
>
> jlaskowski@work /cygdrive/c/apps/eclipse
> $ ls -l C:/apps/eclipse-plugins/geronimo-eclipse-plugin
> total 0
> drwx------+ 4 jlaskowski None 0 Mar 31 10:17 eclipse
>
> jlaskowski@work /cygdrive/c/apps/eclipse
> $ ls -l C:/apps/eclipse-plugins/geronimo-eclipse-plugin/eclipse
> total 24
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 19125 Oct 29 14:06 LICENSE
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None  3298 Oct 29 14:06 NOTICE
> drwx------+ 8 jlaskowski None     0 Mar 31 09:06 features
> drwx------+ 2 jlaskowski None     0 Mar 31 09:06 plugins
>
> No matter how hard you'd try updates are always very painful, but
> Extension Locations feature of Eclipse made it a breeze.
>
> Jacek

Tim McConnell

Re: eclipse as a top-level directory in GEP zip file?

Posted by Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com>.
Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> The real solution to the issue is to use Eclipse's extension locations
> so you define a link file in links directory (beneath the Eclipse home
> directory) where you point out the directory with plugins to be
> included, i.e.
>
> jlaskowski@work /cygdrive/c/apps/eclipse
> $ ls -l links/
> total 9
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 44 Feb 11 08:49 GEF.link
>
> jlaskowski@work /cygdrive/c/apps/eclipse
> $ cat links/geronimo-eclipse-plugin.link
> path=C:/apps/eclipse-plugins/geronimo-eclipse-plugin

Thanks Jacek! A very useful solution.

--
Thanks, Dan Becker

Re: eclipse as a top-level directory in GEP zip file?

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 11:41 PM, Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> FYI, a good article on the subject that I used to learn about Eclipse
> links.....

...is here - ZarzÄ…dzanie wtyczkami w Eclipse - Extension Location [1].
Sorry it's in Polish, though so learn Polish or find another article
in your mother language ;-) Hint: Eclipse extension locations in
Google.

[1] http://www.jaceklaskowski.pl/wiki/Zarz%C4%85dzanie_wtyczkami_w_Eclipse_-_Extension_Location

Jacek

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 4:42 PM, Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>  It is also nice to have just plugins and features rather than
>> eclipse\plugins and eclipse\features when you have different versions of
>> eclipse and change the directory to eclipse3.2 eclipse3.3 eclipse7.1 etc.
>
> The real solution to the issue is to use Eclipse's extension locations
> so you define a link file in links directory (beneath the Eclipse home
> directory) where you point out the directory with plugins to be
> included, i.e.
>
> jlaskowski@work /cygdrive/c/apps/eclipse
> $ ls -l links/
> total 9
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 44 Feb 11 08:49 GEF.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 35 Mar 27 13:54 ajdt.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 45 Feb 11 08:53 dtp.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 54 Feb 11 08:49 emf-sdo-xsd.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 54 Mar 31 10:50 geronimo-eclipse-plugin.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 40 Feb 14 04:20 m2eclipse.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 53 Feb 23 23:32 openejb-eclipse-plugin.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 43 Feb 14 09:01 wicket-bench.link
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 42 Feb 14 09:01 wtp.link
>
> jlaskowski@work /cygdrive/c/apps/eclipse
> $ cat links/geronimo-eclipse-plugin.link
> path=C:/apps/eclipse-plugins/geronimo-eclipse-plugin
>
> jlaskowski@work /cygdrive/c/apps/eclipse
> $ ls -l C:/apps/eclipse-plugins/geronimo-eclipse-plugin
> total 0
> drwx------+ 4 jlaskowski None 0 Mar 31 10:17 eclipse
>
> jlaskowski@work /cygdrive/c/apps/eclipse
> $ ls -l C:/apps/eclipse-plugins/geronimo-eclipse-plugin/eclipse
> total 24
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None 19125 Oct 29 14:06 LICENSE
> -rwx------+ 1 jlaskowski None  3298 Oct 29 14:06 NOTICE
> drwx------+ 8 jlaskowski None     0 Mar 31 09:06 features
> drwx------+ 2 jlaskowski None     0 Mar 31 09:06 plugins
>
> No matter how hard you'd try updates are always very painful, but
> Extension Locations feature of Eclipse made it a breeze.
>
> Jacek

Tim McConnell

Re: eclipse as a top-level directory in GEP zip file?

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.

Posted by Dan Becker <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jacek Laskowski <ja...@laskowski.net.pl>.
On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 3:34 AM, Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jacek, just to be certain I fully understand what you're asking. Are you
> suggesting that when the deployable.zip (or updatesite.zip) is unzipped it
> would create this directory structure ??
>
>         \eclipse\features
>         \eclipse\plugins
>
>  instead of:
>
>         \features
>         \plugins

Yes, that's exactly that.

Jacek

Posted by Tim McConnell <ti...@gmail.com>.
Hi Jacek, just to be certain I fully understand what you're asking. Are you
suggesting that when the deployable.zip (or updatesite.zip) is unzipped it would
create this directory structure ??

	\eclipse\features
	\eclipse\plugins

instead of:

	\features
	\plugins

If so, I agree and it's a very simple change that we can incorporate into the
upcoming GEP 2.1.0. Plus, I suspect this might even be a "best-practice" for
Eclipse plugins -- not really sure.

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just noticed that all Eclipse plugins I've recently worked with had
> their deployable zip files with eclipse as the top-level directory. I
> think we should change how GEP is assembled with eclipse as its
> top-level directory. What do you think?
>
> Jacek

Tim McConnell