Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Matthew Danish <mr...@cmu.edu> on 2004/09/07 23:31:03 UTC

Relative externals

A patch was submitted for this issue, #1336, in July.  Will this be
going into 1.1?  I would like to see this supported in 1.1, because
externals are otherwise completely unusable to us; the other users of
my repository do not all use the same URL to access it, since they map
network drives differently.

;;;; Matthew Danish -- user: mrd domain: cmu.edu
;;;; OpenPGP public key: C24B6010 on keyring.debian.org

Re: Relative externals

Posted by Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>.
On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 07:31:03PM -0400, Matthew Danish wrote:
> A patch was submitted for this issue, #1336, in July.  Will this be
> going into 1.1?  I would like to see this supported in 1.1, because
> externals are otherwise completely unusable to us; the other users of
> my repository do not all use the same URL to access it, since they map
> network drives differently.

1.2, it's too late for this to end up in 1.1.
Sorry.

--
Ben Reser <be...@reser.org>
http://ben.reser.org

"Conscience is the inner voice which warns us somebody may be looking."
- H.L. Mencken

Re: Relative externals

Posted by Matthew Danish <mr...@cmu.edu>.
"Max Bowsher" <ma...@ukf.net> writes:
> Matthew Danish wrote:
> > A patch was submitted for this issue, #1336, in July.  Will this be
> > going into 1.1?  I would like to see this supported in 1.1, because
> > externals are otherwise completely unusable to us;
>
> Indeed, externals are sadly limited right now.
>
> However, time is now getting very short before 1.1.0-rc3.
>
> Even if the patch didn't need further work (which it does), the 1.1.x
> branch isn't really supposed to be receiving new features, especially
> at this late stage.
>
> The change is fairly localized, and the benefits quite significant, so
> consensus *might* permit bending this rule - but it would require a
> committer to take an interest and devote time to fixing up the patch,
> and getting it into trunk ASAP.

I have decided to try working on the patch myself a bit.  I managed to
remove the dependency on Neon, and to make host(?)-local relative
paths work properly.  My tests are successful so far.

Re: Relative externals

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Matthew Danish wrote:
> A patch was submitted for this issue, #1336, in July.  Will this be
> going into 1.1?  I would like to see this supported in 1.1, because
> externals are otherwise completely unusable to us;

Indeed, externals are sadly limited right now.

However, time is now getting very short before 1.1.0-rc3.

Even if the patch didn't need further work (which it does), the 1.1.x branch
isn't really supposed to be receiving new features, especially at this late
stage.

The change is fairly localized, and the benefits quite significant, so
consensus *might* permit bending this rule - but it would require a
committer to take an interest and devote time to fixing up the patch, and
getting it into trunk ASAP.

Will that happen? Maybe...

> the other users of
> my repository do not all use the same URL to access it, since they map
> network drives differently.

Erm... network drives? I assume this is a FSFS repository, then?

Max.