Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Abdul Patel <ab...@gmail.com> on 2018/06/28 22:19:22 UTC

Cassandra read/sec and write/sec

Hi all

We use prometheus to monitor cassandra and then put it on graphana for
dashboard.
Whats the parameter to m3asure throughput  of cassandra?

Re: Cassandra read/sec and write/sec

Posted by Eric Evans <jo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 5:19 PM Abdul Patel <ab...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> We use prometheus to monitor cassandra and then put it on graphana for dashboard.
> Whats the parameter to m3asure throughput  of cassandra?

I'm not sure how you're getting metrics from Cassandra to Prometheus,
or if you're using the JMX exporter agent, how your configuration
might be rewriting metric names, so I'll just refer you to the
document of JMX metrics in the hope you can infer what you need from
that.

http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/operating/metrics.html

There are metrics that can tell you the number of queries being made,
broken down by request type:

http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/operating/metrics.html#client-request-metrics

Use table metrics if you want the rates of reads/writes against the
data that those client requests translate into:

http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/operating/metrics.html#table-metrics

Another measure of throughput you might want to monitor is compaction.
For example, the rate of compactions, and the number of bytes
compacted, are both of interest.  Pending compactions can give you an
idea of saturation.

http://cassandra.apache.org/doc/latest/operating/metrics.html#compaction-metrics

Hope this helps.

--
Eric Evans
john.eric.evans@gmail.com

Re: Cassandra read/sec and write/sec

Posted by Randy Lynn <rl...@getavail.com>.
Abdul - I use DataDog
I track the "latency one minute rate" for both read/writes.
But I'm interested to see what others say and if I got that right?

On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 6:19 PM, Abdul Patel <ab...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> We use prometheus to monitor cassandra and then put it on graphana for
> dashboard.
> Whats the parameter to m3asure throughput  of cassandra?

--
Randy Lynn
rlynn@getavail.com

office:
859.963.1616 <+1-859-963-1616> ext 202
163 East Main Street - Lexington, KY 40507 - USA

<https://www.getavail.com/> getavail.com <https://www.getavail.com/>