Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@red-bean.com> on 2004/09/23 16:15:30 UTC

svn 1.0.8 win32 binaries

... available at the usual place:

   http://subversion.tigris.org/servlets/ProjectDocumentList?folderID=91

-Ben

Re: svn 1.0.8 win32 binaries

Posted by Simon Large <sl...@blazepoint.co.uk>.
"Jostein Chr. Andersen" wrote

> It's not an msi.

Sorry, pay attention Simon.

> The reason of the installer's small size is the built
> in lzma compression, maybe better known as
> '7-zip compression' (*.7z).

Aha! I just expanded svn1.0.6.zip (my last download) and recompressed it
with 7-zip. The size decreases from 4.52 MB to 1.77 MB when in 7z format!
Using 7-zip to make a plain zip results in 4.43 MB

I knew 7z was better. Didn't know it was *that* much better.

Simon

Re: svn 1.0.8 win32 binaries

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Thursday 23 September 2004 22.22, Simon Large wrote:
> And the next silly question - why is the zip so much bigger than the
> msi? It is not obvious from the description.

It's not an msi. The reason of the installer's small size is the built in
lzma compression, maybe better known as '7-zip compression' (*.7z).

So if you are not impressed by bzip2, rar and so on, then point your
browser to http://www.7-zip.org/ and dowload 7-Zip 3.xx.

Download the LZMA SDK if you want this for Linux or another platform.

Jostein

--
http://www.josander.net/en/contact/

Re: svn 1.0.8 win32 binaries

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Sep 23, 2004, at 3:22 PM, Simon Large wrote:

> And the next silly question - why is the zip so much bigger than the
> msi? It
> is not obvious from the description.

Beats me.  I have no idea what's inside the msi, or how it's built.

Re: svn 1.0.8 win32 binaries

Posted by Simon Large <sl...@blazepoint.co.uk>.
And the next silly question - why is the zip so much bigger than the msi? It
is not obvious from the description.

Simon.

Re: svn 1.0.8 win32 binaries

Posted by "Jostein Chr. Andersen" <jo...@josander.net>.
On Thursday 23 September 2004 22.27, Toby Johnson wrote:
> Thank you for getting this out so quickly!

Thank you!  :-)

> Can this simply be installed over a previous version, if the Installer
> was used last time as well?

Yes. That's the recommended way to do it, then the installer's
suggestions will default to the choices you made last time you installed
Subversion with the installer.

If you is an administrator or just want to do an automatic setup for
yourself, then I suggest that you read the section
'filsvn-x.xx.x-setup.exe's command line options' in the file
'packages/win32-innosetup/Readme.txt' found in the subversion
repository. That way, you can do silent installs with various options
from for example the command line or a batch file.

Jostein

--
http://www.josander.net/en/contact/

Re: svn 1.0.8 win32 binaries