Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Andrew Hughes <ah...@gmail.com> on 2009/04/08 07:09:40 UTC

JavaFX Support - Discussion

Hi All,
I'll openly admit that I'm stumped with "the best" way to implement support
for JavaFX in maven. However all existing support seems to be quite old
~13months (i.e. not based on the latest final releases of javafx, or a
little heavy to work with). In the hope of putting a few things on the table
perhaps I can get some of the brains trust to help me get a start.

JavaFX ship's with an ant taskdef for compilation only (does not include
javafxdoc). I have managed to get this to work without the installation of
an instance of JavaFX installed by keeping a local copy of the jar's in the
ant project. Maven could do just the same (although installing all these
jar's in the maven repo could be a problem (might be cause for an
install:javafx goal to be created).

Beyond getting all the required jar's for the classpath, there's also the
issue of the compilation itself from a maven plugin. Could we just embed an
ant task runner? do we use and <exec> wrapper? should we attempt to directly
interface like the (closed sourced) task def does?

I'm not sure what the best solution is here, especially when you want to
take into consideration consistency between developers and the JavaFX SDK
version.

Really keen to get this going!

Re: JavaFX Support - Discussion

Posted by Andrew Hughes <ah...@gmail.com>.
Excellent, same thing I am looking for. I believe this is quite complex (too
complex for my own maven knowledge). I know I can create a mojo quite
easily. But there are several questions I do not have answers for
Q. How should the javafx jar dependencies be imported into the project? Via
a repository or a local javafx installation?
Q. If this is via a local javafx installation, how does a plugin inject the
javafx <systemPath> dependencies into a project?
Q: Should the javafxc (compiler) be invoked as a system exec process or via
the javafx ant taskdef?
Q: If using the taskdef (because it is portable and not OS specific) how can
one plugin call/invoke another in the mojo code?

I'm sure there are many questions I am yet to get their way into my brain...
but a start is a start :)

Posted by Milos Kleint <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Hughes <ah...@gmail.com>.
On the JavaFX side...
http://javafx-jira.kenai.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa there's
no mention of maven support.
There are a few on the Maven's Jira, but certainly nothing substantial...
there's definately limited support out there and certainly none on the Sun
radar. Although this is difficult I would still like to try.

*T**Key**Summary**Assignee**Reporter**Pr**Status**Res**Created**Updated**Due
*[image: Task] <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-69>FEST-69<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-69>Upgrade
project to JavaFX SDK 1.1
<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-69>Alex
Ruiz<http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=alexruiz>Alex
Ruiz <http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=alexruiz>[image:
Critical][image: Resolved] ResolvedFixed05/Mar/0905/Mar/09 [image:
Sub-task]<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-61>
FEST-61 <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-61>FEST-1<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-1>
 Move FEST-JavaFX issues to
CodeHaus<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-61>Alex
Ruiz <http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=alexruiz>Alex
Ruiz <http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=alexruiz>[image:
Major][image: Resolved] ResolvedFixed05/Mar/0905/Mar/09 [image:
Sub-task]<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-97>
FEST-97 <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-97>FEST-90<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-90>
 Move FEST-JavaFX code to CodeHaus
<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-97>Alex
Ruiz <http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=alexruiz>Alex
Ruiz <http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=alexruiz>[image:
Critical][image: Resolved] ResolvedFixed07/Mar/0908/Mar/09 [image: New
Feature] <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-73>FEST-73<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-73>Add
support for Swing components <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-73>Alex
Ruiz <http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=alexruiz>Alex
Ruiz <http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=alexruiz>[image:
Critical][image: Open] OpenUNRESOLVED05/Mar/0905/Mar/09 [image:
Sub-task]<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-75>
FEST-75 <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-75>FEST-73<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-73>
 Add support for SwingComboBox <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-75>
UnassignedAlex Ruiz<http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=alexruiz>[image:
Major][image: Open] OpenUNRESOLVED05/Mar/0905/Mar/09 [image:
Sub-task]<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-74>
FEST-74 <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-74>FEST-73<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-73>
 Finish basic support for
SwingButton<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-74>Alex
Sub-task]<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-77>
FEST-77 <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-77>FEST-73<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-73>
 Add support for SwingLabel <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-77>
Sub-task]<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-78>
FEST-78 <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-78>FEST-73<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-73>
 Add support for SwingList <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-78>Alex
Ruiz <http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=alexruiz>Alex
Ruiz <http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=alexruiz>[image:
Critical][image: In Progress] In ProgressUNRESOLVED05/Mar/0905/Mar/09 [image:
Sub-task] <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-79>FEST-79<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-79>
FEST-73 <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-73>
 Add support for SwingCheckBox <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-79>
Sub-task]<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-80>
FEST-80 <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-80>FEST-73<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-73>
 Add support for SwingRadioButton <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-80>
Sub-task]<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-81>
FEST-81 <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-81>FEST-73<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-73>
 Add support for SwingSlider <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-81>
Sub-task]<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-82>
FEST-82 <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-82>FEST-73<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-73>
 Add support for SwingTextField <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-82>
Sub-task]<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-72>
FEST-72 <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-72>FEST-70<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-70>
 WidgetFX as testing target <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-72>
UnassignedAlex Ruiz<http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=alexruiz>[image:
Major][image: Open] OpenUNRESOLVED05/Mar/0905/Mar/09 [image:
Task]<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-70>
FEST-70 <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-70>Add real-world
apps/projects as testing target <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-70>
UnassignedAlex Ruiz<http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=alexruiz>[image:
Major][image: Open] OpenUNRESOLVED05/Mar/0905/Mar/09 [image: New
Feature]<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-15>
FEST-15 <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-15>Expose component-less
internals to subclasses of DragAndDrop (issue
283)<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST-15>Alex
Ruiz <http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=alexruiz>Alex
Ruiz <http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=alexruiz>[image:
Minor][image: Resolved] ResolvedFixed02/Mar/0909/Mar/09 [image:
Bug]<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRIFFON-10>
GRIFFON-10 <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRIFFON-10>Griffon Applet got
error when incompatiable version of Java is
used<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/GRIFFON-10>Danno
Ferrin <http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=shemnon>Mingfai
Ma <http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=mingfai>[image:
Major][image: Resolved] ResolvedFixed05/Dec/0805/Dec/08 [image:
Wish]<http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVENUPLOAD-2347>
MAVENUPLOAD-2347 <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVENUPLOAD-2347>Upload
scenario jar <http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MAVENUPLOAD-2347>Carlos
Sanchez <http://jira.codehaus.org/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=carlos>Alexandre