Posted to dev@tuscany.apache.org by Raymond Feng <en...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/16 02:12:30 UTC

Rename Node2/node2 to Node/node in trunk

Hi,

We now have the Node APIs in the code base with 2 suffix, such as SCANode2,
SCANode2Factory and tuscany-node2-api, tuscany-node2-impl. I propose that we
rename them back to Node/node.

If there is no objection, I'll do it early next week.

Thanks,
Raymond

Re: Rename Node2/node2 to Node/node in trunk

Posted by haleh mahbod <hm...@gmail.com>.
Doesn't deprecation mean the code will be there for a while and therefore
the new code will not break existing user code?

How long will deprecated code stay around in Tuscany? It would be good to
establish a guideline so users can plan to move to the new code.

Can there be a log of deprecated APIs under documentation page or download
page? This will help users to better plan for moving code to the new
APIs/SPIs.

Posted by Simon Nash <na...@apache.org>.
ant elder wrote:
> I don't think we should do this yet. We've only just put Node2 out in a
> release and users have just started to move from the SCADomain APIs to
> it so to turn around an immediately deprecate it doesn't give a very
> good user experience, and one of our users has even replied to this
> thread saying that.
>
> And I don't think we should deprecate it till we know what the final
> stable API is and I don't think we know Node2 is it yet. Its not great
> you need to cast to the SCAClient so thats one thing that could be
> improved, there's the various spec group proposals going on for the
> client APIs that will be resolved at some point which we'll need to make
> updates for, I've got a work item i need to do in the next couple of
> months on the client APIs and that will likely require changes. Just
> yesterday there was the new proposal for how our samples should be using
> the SCA programming model. All that to me says we should wait a bit for
> things to settle down before making breaking changes or deprecating
> anything, is there any real need to rush this in?
>
>    ...ant
>
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 12:27 AM, Raymond Feng <enjoyjava@gmail.com
> <ma...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     OK. Instead of renaming, I'll add SCANodeFactory/SCANode and leave
>     the SCANode2Factory/SCANode2 deprecated. Existing samples or itests
>     will be migrated to use SCANodeFactory/SCANode. Meanwhile I'll
>     change the maven artifact ids from node2-xxx to node-xxx.
>
>     Thanks,
>     Raymond

Sorry for the delayed response.  I have been on vacation for the last week
and I am trying to catch up with my backlog on the ML.  I agree that we
should not move too quickly on this renaming.  We should wait to get more
experience with these APIs before we declare them final and stable.

   Simon

Re: Rename Node2/node2 to Node/node in trunk

Posted by ant elder <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Dave Sowerby <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Guys,