Posted to users@trafficserver.apache.org by Kimmo Karlsson <ki...@rovio.com> on 2011/11/04 12:23:10 UTC

HTTPS connection timeout with Chrome

Hi All,

I have ATS as a reverse proxy with SSL termination. Otherwise everything works just fine, but when I connect to ATS with Chrome over HTTPS, I get a connection timeout on the first attempt. After clicking "reload" it works. (Plain HTTP also works fine.) I searched the web for Chrome -related HTTPS problems and found out about "SSL false start". I then started Chrome (v15) with "--disable-ssl-false-start" command-line parameter and got no connection timeouts. I got no timeouts on Firefox7 and IE9, either.

Has anybody else had similar problems? Is there some configuration option in ATS that I missed? Are there actually problems with SSL false start -support in ATS or is this something else?

I have compiled ATS-3.0.1 with OpenSSL-1.0.0d, but the system also has an older version of libssl, if that makes any difference.

Thanks,

-- Kimmo

Re: HTTPS connection timeout with Chrome

Posted by sridhar basam <sr...@basam.org>.
On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 7:23 AM, Kimmo Karlsson <ki...@rovio.com>wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have ATS as a reverse proxy with SSL termination. Otherwise everything
> works just fine, but when I connect to ATS with Chrome over HTTPS, I get a
> connection timeout on the first attempt. After clicking "reload" it works.
> (Plain HTTP also works fine.) I searched the web for Chrome -related HTTPS
> problems and found out about "SSL false start". I then started Chrome (v15)
> with "--disable-ssl-false-start" command-line parameter and got no
> connection timeouts. I got no timeouts on Firefox7 and IE9, either.
>
> Has anybody else had similar problems? Is there some configuration option
> in ATS that I missed? Are there actually problems with SSL false start
> -support in ATS or is this something else?
>
> I have compiled ATS-3.0.1 with OpenSSL-1.0.0d, but the system also has an
> older version of libssl, if that makes any difference.

There isn't support for false start in openssl as yet. If you want to hand
roll support, check out the link below.

http://technotes.googlecode.com/git-history/3bea6d3d226c878577c0d520784e14f2c8efbe1c/openssl-1.0.0d-falsestart.patch

 Sridhar

RE: HTTPS connection timeout with Chrome

Posted by Ben Snowden <bs...@ColdJet.com>.
Probably this bug: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/TS-888

I had the same problem with Firefox. There is a patch in the bug report that fixed the issue for me.

Ben