Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org> on 2003/04/01 00:53:22 UTC

distributed search engine

Hi

A friend of mine pointed me to the idea of building a distributed search
engine (similar to SETI@home), where the crawling or for instance the
real time indexing of weblogs (http://www.weblogs.com) and the searching
could be distributed on various machines provided by "volunteers".

To start the thinking very pragmatically: Is it possible to merge
different Lucene indices?

Btw, I have found these projects, which sound very similar, but seem to
be a bit outdated:

http://www.hyperbee.com

http://harvest.sourceforge.net/harvest/doc/index.html

Thanks

Michael

Re: distributed search engine

Posted by Leo Galambos <ga...@com-os2.ms.mff.cuni.cz>.
On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Michael Wechner wrote:

> A friend of mine pointed me to the idea of building a distributed search
>
> Btw, I have found these projects, which sound very similar, but seem to
> be a bit outdated:
>
> http://www.hyperbee.com
>
> http://harvest.sourceforge.net/harvest/doc/index.html

one of the active projects is http://egothor.sf.net that is designed for
P2P or any sort of distribution (see Dockyard, Dynamizer, Distributor,
and Group classes and interfaces). The latest version (in CVS)
emulates/simulates Harvest (or even Lucene) as one of the possible
configurations, so I think it is ideal for dIRs.

-g-

Re: distributed search engine

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Certainly doable.
Yes, indices can be merged.  I think I described that in the second
Lucene article on Onjava.com.  The method name is something like
addDirectories(String[])....or something similar.

Otis