Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by "Scott J. Keane" <sc...@hotmail.com> on 2001/06/10 00:26:02 UTC

Servlets accessing resources local to server

Hello,

    I've been reading through documentation and I just wanted to confirm my research.  I am trying to implement a servlet that can access resources local to the server it is running on(ie a naming service).  The servlet can access things within the context of the servlet container.  It looks to me as though the servlet container does not have access to data structures in the server.  For example, you have a hashtable of accounts with a balance due on them; if the request is received and sent to the servlet, the servlet cannot access this data structure by naming it because it is not within its scope.  If the table were created when it was initialized and resided in the servlet, in another servlet that resided in the context of the servlet in question, or in a file within the context of the web application that servlet is native to, that would be fine.  Does this sound correct?

Scott