Posted to dev@guacamole.apache.org by Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org> on 2017/05/31 14:22:31 UTC

[DISCUSS] Old pre-Apache Guacamole Facebook and Twitter accounts

Hi all,

The Guacamole project maintained a Facebook page and Twitter account
prior to moving to the Incubator. For simplicity's sake, the buttons
for those were removed from the website during the initial migration,
and I've all but ignored them since. That said, the accounts still
exist, and I do still have access. Any thoughts on whether we should
revive and hang on to those?

If there's a general feeling that the project would benefit from using
these things, I'll find some way of opening up those to the PPMC. If
not, I'm all for tearing them down and pointing any followers of those
accounts to the mailing lists.

Personally, I would much rather replace them both with an announce@
mailing list, but I'm sure my own aversion to Facebook/Twitter is not
universally shared.

Thanks,

- Mike

Re: [DISCUSS] Old pre-Apache Guacamole Facebook and Twitter accounts

Posted by Nick Couchman <ni...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 10:23 AM, Mike Jumper <mi...@guac-dev.org> wrote:

 > Hi all,

> The Guacamole project maintained a Facebook page and Twitter account
> prior to moving to the Incubator. For simplicity's sake, the buttons
> for those were removed from the website during the initial migration,
> and I've all but ignored them since. That said, the accounts still
> exist, and I do still have access. Any thoughts on whether we should
> revive and hang on to those?

> If there's a general feeling that the project would benefit from using
> these things, I'll find some way of opening up those to the PPMC. If
> not, I'm all for tearing them down and pointing any followers of those
> accounts to the mailing lists.

> Personally, I would much rather replace them both with an announce@
> mailing list, but I'm sure my own aversion to Facebook/Twitter is not
> universally shared.

So, in general I'm something a social media Luddite - I still don't have a personal Facebook account, and, while I do have a Twitter account, I use it more as a news feed than anything else.  That said, I'd actually vote for keeping these accounts and making use of them.  While I don't use Facebook and am not a big Twitter poster, that is where a lot of users are and the way a lot of people get updates.  It seems like growing the Guacamole user base, particularly as we gain development momentum here and work toward graduating into a full ASF project, will be better enabled by having those accounts around.
-Nick