Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Chuan-Heng Hsiao <hs...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/17 02:30:48 UTC

huge commitlog

hi Cassandra Developers,

I am experiencing huge commitlog size (200+G) after inserting huge
amount of data.
It is a 4-node cluster with RF= 3, and currently each has 200+G commit
log (so there are around 1T commit log in total)

The setting of commitlog_total_space_in_mb is default.

I am using 1.1.6.

I did not do nodetool cleanup and nodetool flush yet, but
I did nodetool repair -pr for each column family.

There is 1 huge column family (around 68G in data_file_directories),
and 18 mid-huge column family (around 1G in data_file_directories)
and around 700 mini column family (around 10M in data_file_directories)

I am wondering whether the huge commitlog size is the expected behavior or not?
and how can we reduce the size of commitlog?

Sincerely,
Hsiao

Re: huge commitlog

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.
Can you please create a ticket for this  on https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CASSANDRA

Thanks

-----------------
Aaron Morton
Freelance Cassandra Developer
New Zealand

@aaronmorton
http://www.thelastpickle.com

Re: huge commitlog

Posted by Chuan-Heng Hsiao <hs...@gmail.com>.
Hi Aaron,

Thank you very much for replying.

>From the log, it seems the the ERROR happens when trying to flush
memtable with secondary index.
(When inserting the data, I set the default value as '' for all
pre-defined columns.
 it's for programming convenience.)

The following is the log:

 INFO [OptionalTasks:1] 2012-11-13 14:24:20,650 ColumnFamilyStore.java
(line 659) Enqueuing flush of
Memtable-(some_cf).(some_cf)_(some_idx)_idx_1@1216346401(485/8360
serialized/live bytes, 24 ops)
ERROR [FlushWriter:2123] 2012-11-13 14:24:20,650
AbstractCassandraDaemon.java (line 135) Exception in thread
Thread[FlushWriter:2123,5,main]
java.lang.AssertionError: Keys must not be empty
        at org.apache.cassandra.io.sstable.SSTableWriter.beforeAppend(SSTableWriter.java:133)
        at org.apache.cassandra.io.sstable.SSTableWriter.append(SSTableWriter.java:176)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.Memtable.writeSortedContents(Memtable.java:295)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.Memtable.access$600(Memtable.java:48)
        at org.apache.cassandra.db.Memtable$5.runMayThrow(Memtable.java:316)
        at org.apache.cassandra.utils.WrappedRunnable.run(WrappedRunnable.java:30)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1110)
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:603)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:722)

Re: huge commitlog

Posted by aaron morton <aa...@thelastpickle.com>.

Re: huge commitlog

Posted by Chuan-Heng Hsiao <hs...@gmail.com>.