Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net> on 2010/08/24 01:45:47 UTC

Migration component Ideas

ofbiz at this point offers a rudimentary migration doc, thanks to the
mostly Jacques effort.

But let me give you an idea of what I experience with my BBS free software.
1)the upgrade you download puts the software in a non access mode from
the web.
2)it evaluate what version you are running
3)it then goes to the software site and generate a download of files and
database changes, as a script.
4)after you install the files it rechecks that everything in there and
does a database migration.
5) it runs tests to validate crucial operations.
6) it then tells you to remove the folder with the upgrade which
unblocks the web access.

now for ofbiz I see those steps as
1) add a service that stops web access while upgrade
2) notes and stores the current svn version
3) upgrades from the latest branch that is a release(by version number)
4) checks database against upgrades and reports what has to be done
manually if any. then is the hardest part.
5) keeps rechecking till the database passes configure test.
6) gives a message to restart ofbiz or issues a restart command.

any thoughts

=========================
BJ Freeman  <http://bjfreeman.elance.com>
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

Re: Migration component Ideas

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
as far as UI yes.
as far as steps no. what was shown was setup but not migration.
coming from a background of doing complete desktop/server roll-outs for
large corporations, I am looking more of doing diffs, compares then
generate the needed changes.
One of those steps is to create new database initialize the tables then
do and db to db migration.
 From past experience this could take a day or more for very large
databases.
then a final re-sync for new data and a switch to new code that my
requires changing the Virtual Apache settings.

=========================
BJ Freeman  <http://bjfreeman.elance.com>
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

james_sg sent the following on 8/26/2010 2:57 AM:

Posted by james_sg <sn...@hotmail.com>.
seems something like

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
yes it would be automatic, and just like now if you have changed code
the svn tool created version change files that have to be resolved if
you have changed core.

Before making such changes it will give you a list of these and ask if
you want to do an automatic upgrade. this is to catch those changes that
were not done in best practices.

Hopefully the best practices has been followed and all the changes are
in the hot-deploy, in which case there is nothing the upgrade will
touch, in hot-deploy.

Also for such conditions it would be best to run the migration against a
copy of the productions.

james_sg sent the following on 8/23/2010 8:47 PM:

=========================

Posted by james_sg <sn...@hotmail.com>.
Hi BJ,

Posted by BJ Freeman <bj...@free-man.net>.
Maybe it would make sense to put a migration folder in each component
under that folder would be like 4.0to9.04, 9.04to10.4

BJ Freeman  <http://bjfreeman.elance.com>
Systems Integrator-- Glad to Assist

Chat  Y! messenger: bjfr33man

BJ Freeman sent the following on 8/23/2010 4:45 PM: