Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Michal Kaut <m_...@hotmail.com> on 2006/09/11 10:14:10 UTC

Error 1053 when starting svnserve as a service on WinXP

I installed the svnserve as a service, following the guide on
http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/tags/1.4.0/notes/windows-service.txt.
However, the service won't start, I get the following error message:
"Could not start the ... service on Local Computer
  Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control
request in a timely fashion."

I have Windows XP Pro SP2.
I have the latest updates to the .NET framework.
I tried to run it both as a Local System and as me (roaming profile)
svnserve works fine using the --daemon option.
I am at a university - can there be some security setting that prevents
me from running a service? If so, how can I check it?

Does someone have
  - the same problem?
  - any idea how to solve it?

Thanks a lot.

Regards,
Michal Kaut

Re: Error 1053 when starting svnserve as a service on WinXP

Posted by Grant Rettke <gr...@acm.org>.
Awesome, thanks for the link!

Posted by Kevin Greiner <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Grant Rettke <gr...@acm.org>.

Posted by Kevin Greiner <gr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/06, Grant Rettke <gr...@acm.org> wrote:
> Quoting "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>:
>
> > It is now a true service and does not need 'srvany.exe' or other helpers.
>
> I understand.
>
> What features does it now provide (probably through its on_start,
> on_stop, on_x methods) that it didn't before?

You can still use the old method if you like -- a commandline
parameter controls whether it acts as a native service or not.  Native
services have advantages over wrapped .exe's -- improved crash
detection and error condition handling, no 3rd party stuff required,
etc.  But you don't have to use it if you are happy with the wrapper.

And as far as I'm aware, there is no issue with the native service
support -- it is working fine for me on multiple machines -- XP and
W2k3.

DJ

Re: Error 1053 when starting svnserve as a service on WinXP

Posted by Grant Rettke <gr...@acm.org>.

Posted by "D.J. Heap" <dj...@gmail.com>.
On 9/11/06, Grant Rettke <gr...@acm.org> wrote:
> Quoting Michal Kaut <m_...@hotmail.com>:
>
> > I installed the svnserve as a service, following the guide on
> > http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/tags/1.4.0/notes/windows-service.txt.
> > However, the service won't start, I get the following error message:
> > "Could not start the ... service on Local Computer
> >  Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control
> > request in a timely fashion."
>
> "Creating a service" does little more than adding an entry to the Windows
> registry. I'm not quite sure how svnserve changed between 1.3.x and
> 1.4.x such that "now svnserve can always be run as a service". It
> always was able to run as a service.

It is now a true service and does not need 'srvany.exe' or other helpers.

For the original problem, are all the support dll's in the same
directory or in some directory that is in your system PATH?

DJ

Re: Error 1053 when starting svnserve as a service on WinXP

Posted by Grant Rettke <gr...@acm.org>.
Quoting Michal Kaut <m_...@hotmail.com>:

> I installed the svnserve as a service, following the guide on
> http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/tags/1.4.0/notes/windows-service.txt.
> However, the service won't start, I get the following error message:
> "Could not start the ... service on Local Computer
>  Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control
> request in a timely fashion."

"Creating a service" does little more than adding an entry to the Windows
registry. I'm not quite sure how svnserve changed between 1.3.x and
1.4.x such that "now svnserve can always be run as a service". It
always was able to run as a service.

Here are my notes on how to install 1.3.x as a service. I would image
that these still apply to 1.4.x.

15. Download the Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools from
	http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&DisplayLang=en. 	(This url may or not remain
valid)
	(rktools.exe)
16.	Create the directory C:\bin. Add C:\bin to your path.
17.	Execute and install rktools.exe.
18.	From C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools copy files
	instsrv.exe and srvany.exe to C:\bin.
19.	Create the service
20.		Go to dos
21.		'instsrv svnserve c:\bin\srvany.exe'
22.		Get the message:
		The service was successfuly added!

		Make sure that you go into the Control Panel and use
		the Services applet to change the Account Name and
		Password that this newly installed service will use
		for its Security Context.
23. Run regedit
24.		Open 		HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\svnserve
25.		Create a new 'Key' called Parameters
26.			Add string value 27.			Application=C:\Program
Files\Subversion\bin\svnserve.exe
28.			Add string value
29.			AppParameters=-d -r C:\svnrepo