Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Pierre THIERRY <pi...@moine-fou.org> on 2004/06/20 14:54:18 UTC

Unneeded APR dependency in ./configure (was Re: TRANSLATING: HACKING for translators?)

> 1) check out Subversion (see INSTALL for more information)
> 2) run ./autogen.sh
> 3) run ./configure
> 4) run make locale-gnu-pot
>   This step is currently only supported for GNU gettext systems

When I saw that the translation status didn't contain fr, I tried to see
if I would be able to do, or at least start, the translation. So I did a
checkout, but the ``./configure'' step failed beacuse it didn't find the
APR library.

Why would I need APR if I just want to get the .pot file, edit it and
send the patch?

Simply,
Nowhere man (aka le Moine Fou)
--
pierre.thierry@moine-fou.org
OpenPGP 0xD9D50D8A

Re: Unneeded APR dependency in ./configure (was Re: TRANSLATING: HACKING for translators?)

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> > Perhaps put those targets into a separate makefile on subversion/po.
>
> +1
>
> But not having to break the build system in separate pieces would be
> probably better.

It could be an includable part in the main build system, but still be
contained in subversion/po and be a valid Makefile by itself.

I'll see what I can do about it.

Bye,

Erik.

--
+++ Jetzt WLAN-Router f�r alle DSL-Einsteiger und Wechsler +++
GMX DSL-Powertarife zudem 3 Monate gratis* http://www.gmx.net/dsl

Re: Unneeded APR dependency in ./configure (was Re: TRANSLATING: HACKING for translators?)

Posted by Pierre THIERRY <pi...@moine-fou.org>.
> Perhaps put those targets into a separate makefile on subversion/po.

+1

But not having to break the build system in separate pieces would be
probably better.

Locally,
Nowhere man

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
Erik Huelsmann wrote:

>>>Presumably because you are a developer (even when you only develop
>>>translations).
>>>

>>No I'm not. I'm a translator, maybe with little technical knowledge. At
>>least, this kind of user should be able to contribute...
>>

>Ok. Point taken. Let me rephrase myself: until your request people following
>trunk for whatever reason were assumed to be knowledgeable of the autoconf
>build support system.

Funny, I was almost bitten by the same problem today (I'm starting the
Slovenian translation, finally). Turns out that the two make targets
that have to do with translation (locale-gnu-pot and
locale-gnu-po-update) only depend on xgettext and msgmerge. Surely we
could do that without jumping through hoops with configure? Perhaps put
those targets into a separate makefile on subversion/po. There's really
no need for them to depend on the rest of the build system. We can just
assume translators have the gettext tools in the path, and we don't even
have to bother with an objdir != srcdir build.

-- Brane

Re: Unneeded APR dependency in ./configure (was Re: TRANSLATING: HACKING for translators?)

Posted by Pierre THIERRY <pi...@moine-fou.org>.
> To help you with a quick start I could send you the .pot for current
> HEAD off-list.

BTW, I'm a developer, so I finally managed to configure, but the
situation will surely prevent non-tech translators to contribute. And I
could see in other projects, their participation is often needed to have
plenty of localizations.

> Anybody running Subversion has APR, so the only time you won't have
> APR is when you don't run it.

But I had problems with this dependency. I didn't see anywhere what
exactly I had to provide to --with-apr (all docs seem to make the
assumption I had to build it, but in a good distrib, it is packaged, so
I just apt-get installed it).

The only directory of the libapr0 package, in Debian, is /usr/lib, so I
tried it and it failed. It's only because I already used autoconf before
that I thought about giving just /usr. (in fact, it worked before, as I
installed libapr0-dev, which provide apr-config, whose filename was fine
for the --with-apr option, but I wanted to know what directory was to
provide instead)

The fact is that a non-developer translator will not guess that
--with-apr wants what was given in the --with-prefix of the APR
configure. The translator doesn't even know about that prefix stuff...

Easily,
Nowhere man

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> > Presumably because you are a developer (even when you only develop
> > translations).
>
> No I'm not. I'm a translator, maybe with little technical knowledge. At
> least, this kind of user should be able to contribute...

Ok. Point taken. Let me rephrase myself: until your request people following
trunk for whatever reason were assumed to be knowledgeable of the autoconf
build support system.

Surely you should be able to contribute. What you ask is new to Subversion
is all I am saying. Until now we had releases for non-tech users and trunk
for those wanting bleeding edge. To help you with a quick start I could send
you the .pot for current HEAD off-list.

> I don't see the point requesting APR everytime. Isn't it possible that
> autoconf generate only the targets that are possible to build (so when
> APR isn't there?

Anybody running Subversion has APR, so the only time you won't have APR is
when you don't run it. If you don't run it, then you can't follow trunk.
Which you do, since you're translating HEAD (no releases support it yet).

Anyway, if you run configure once, then a file named 'config.nice' is
created. This file contains the command to run configure with whatever
arguments you used last time. Also, there is no need to run configure
everytime you want the .pot; rather, you run configure once and then you run
'svn up' to pull changes from the repository. Only when configure.in or
autogen.sh get changed you need to run the full sequence. (There are one or
two other cases, but this will get you quite far.)  What I try to tell you
is that it might seem complex the first time, it might be only that.

I want to help you understand this so you can contribute. I hope I did just
that and not scare you away.

bye,

Erik.

Re: Unneeded APR dependency in ./configure (was Re: TRANSLATING: HACKING for translators?)

Posted by Pierre THIERRY <pi...@moine-fou.org>.
> Presumably because you are a developer (even when you only develop
> translations).

No I'm not. I'm a translator, maybe with little technical knowledge. At
least, this kind of user should be able to contribute...

I don't see the point requesting APR everytime. Isn't it possible that
autoconf generate only the targets that are possible to build (so when
APR isn't there?

Doubtly,
Nowhere man

Posted by Erik Huelsmann <e....@gmx.net>.
> > 1) check out Subversion (see INSTALL for more information)
> > 2) run ./autogen.sh
> > 3) run ./configure
> > 4) run make locale-gnu-pot
> >   This step is currently only supported for GNU gettext systems
>
> When I saw that the translation status didn't contain fr, I tried to see
> if I would be able to do, or at least start, the translation. So I did a
> checkout, but the ``./configure'' step failed beacuse it didn't find the
> APR library.
>
> Why would I need APR if I just want to get the .pot file, edit it and
> send the patch?

Presumably because you are a developer (even when you only develop
translations). If you are running Subversion you normally already have APR
though. You can point ./configure there with its --with-apr and
--with-apr-util switches.

HTH,

Erik.