Posted to log4j-dev@logging.apache.org by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org> on 2006/02/23 18:28:31 UTC

[POLL] Base JDK version support for log4j 1.3?

We have talked about this before, and I plan to poll the user list,
but I thought we could talk about it some more here first.

What base JDK version do we want to support for log4j 1.3?  > JDK 1.2?
 > JDK 1.3?

Cons:
- not as universal of an option for logging

Pros:
- can use more modern, builtin classes (like Scheduler) instead of
growing our own
- less testing and build maintenance

others?

comments?
-Mark

Re: [POLL] Base JDK version support for log4j 1.3?

Posted by Boris Unckel <bo...@gmx.net>.
Hello,

Endre Stølsvik wrote:
> What is there in 1.4?! Unless you do heavy concurrent I/O, I haven't seen
> anything that Java 1.4 supplies that isn't just "plain java"?
to get this all together:
There are a few dimensions for/against a special JDK Version:
1a) User base argumentation: How many people are running their
application with log4j and a JDK special version (percentage)?
1b) How many percent of the users with the oldest supported JDK version
must be there to say this has support worth?
1c) User migration argumentation: How many people will use a newer log4j
version and still stay at an older JDK version?

2) Feature argumentation: How many features are in JDK 1.2, 1.3, 1.4
which are useful/necessary for log4j 1.3
and still make it possible to switch from log4j 1.2.x to 1.3 without
changing application code (the compatibility issue)?

3) How long should an external API support "End-of-Life" systems? (Even
JDK 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 have the EOL sign,
see http://java.sun.com/downloads/ in the combo box).

There should be a formal vote for this kind of decisions with an summary
of the argumentations. There are conservative notes
in this thread (-> JDK 1.2.x) and there are more progressive sounds (->
JDK 1.3, 1.4 even 1.5). Both have good arguments.

Regards
Boris

Re: [POLL] Base JDK version support for log4j 1.3?

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.
On Fri, 24 Feb 2006, Jess Holle wrote:

| Unless, of course, requiring 1.4 means one can assume a better ThreadLocal and
| use it more freely, for instance.  [I know ThreadLocal improved over the
| various JVM releases, but I don't know whether those improvements went back
| into old JVM's maintenance releases.]

The new (fast) ThreadLocal has been around since 1.4, iiuc.

However, using actual ThreadLocal objects has as far as I understand
always been better than "doing it yourself" as log4j does, since it is
supposed to clean up after itself - and it magically improves for each
java version, while synched-maps really don't (see NDC).

Here's the "threadlocal leaks plug" once more (it's interesting):
  http://www.jroller.com/page/tackline?entry=fixing_threadlocal
    Sun bug db entry by, I assume, the same guy ("tackline"):
     (vote for it - it hurts all webapp developers!)

Regards,
Endre.

Re: [POLL] Base JDK version support for log4j 1.3?

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.
The only bits I can think of in 1.4 over 1.3 are:

    * Assertions
    * NIO

Otherwise that's really about it.  Sure, 1.4 integrates JSSE, JAXP, and
JNDI into the core, but there are add-on libraries for 1.3 for all the
same stuff.

I believe NIO has not been all it's cracked up to be in many usages and
would be surprised to find it critical to logging.

--
Jess Holle

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.

Posted by Boris Unckel <bo...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Boris Unckel <bo...@gmx.net>.
Good evening,

David J. M. Karlsen wrote:
> Some of the vendors are behind - WebSphere v6 (latest available) is at
> JDK1.3.
> I really don't see any reason to make the l4j 1.4 target - if it does
> - we'll have some problems - and probably leave l4j for good.

WebSphere v5.0 was at JDK 1.3
WebSphere v5.1 was at JDK 1.4
WebSphere v6.? is at JDK 1.4
See:
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/library/techarticles/0402_berg/0402_berg.html
and search for "Compatible server targets" in the page.
That was the first hit on google.de for "WebSphere JDK version"

Regards
Boris

Re: [POLL] Base JDK version support for log4j 1.3?

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hola,

> Some of the vendors are behind - WebSphere v6 (latest available) is at
> JDK1.3.

I don't think so.  Even later versions of WebSphere 5.x support JDK
1.4.  See for example:
http://www.websphere-world.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1164.

The argument for supporting older JDKs is not about vendor adoption.
Every vendor worth their name will have Tiger (J2SE 5.0) support very
soon because they J2EE 1.5 spec requires it.

I think a better argument for supporting older JDKs can be made in
light of the competition from java.util.logging (JUL).  JUL became
available with Sun JDK 1.4 and for many users offers everything they
need.  To remain the top option in the future, log4j must either offer
unique features (for example the plugin/receiver framework) or support
a broader subset of JDKs.  By that I don't just mean older ones, but
also less traditional ones like GNU Classpath, Kaffe, and Apache
Harmony as it gets closer to prime time.

Unfortunately we've now spent many months essentially assuring that
log4j 1.3 is fully backwards-compatible instead of focusing on new and
innovative features.  This compatibility is a noble goal, but I think
we're at a crossing point where we need to decide where to focus.

I strongly stress that I'm not criticizing anyone: what the project
does reflects the interests of our members, as always.  I'll be the
first to admit that I've contributed very little to log4j this past
year and change, and I wish I had more time to write some cool new
code for 2.0.  I think the people working on backwards comptability
have done a great job, and Mark has done an awesome job keeping us in
check.  But I wish we would step back for a second and look at what
would make log4j the top logging choice not just now, but for a couple
of years in the future, given what we know about J2EE 1.5, the JVMPI /
JVMDI improvements in Tiger, and other similar opportunities to put
together new differentiating features, like loggers and appenders once
were...

Yoav

--
Yoav Shapira
Senior Architect

Re: [POLL] Base JDK version support for log4j 1.3?

Posted by "David J. M. Karlsen" <da...@davidkarlsen.com>.
Andreas Fester wrote:
> Mark Womack wrote:
>
>> We have talked about this before, and I plan to poll the user list,
>> but I thought we could talk about it some more here first.
>>
>> What base JDK version do we want to support for log4j 1.3?  > JDK 1.2?
>>  > JDK 1.3?
>>

> I do not see any reason to support 1.2 anymore. 1.3 would be reasonable,
> but I would even say 1.4 should be sufficient, given that 1.5/5.0 is
> now available on all major platforms (including AIX ;-)) and 1.6/6.0 is
> in beta stage...

Some of the vendors are behind - WebSphere v6 (latest available) is at
JDK1.3.
I really don't see any reason to make the l4j 1.4 target - if it does -
we'll have some problems - and probably leave l4j for good.

--
David J. M. Karlsen - +47 90 68 22 43
http://www.davidkarlsen.com

Re: [POLL] Base JDK version support for log4j 1.3?

Posted by Andreas Fester <af...@apache.org>.
Mark Womack wrote:
> We have talked about this before, and I plan to poll the user list,
> but I thought we could talk about it some more here first.
>
> What base JDK version do we want to support for log4j 1.3?  > JDK 1.2?
>  > JDK 1.3?

I do not see any reason to support 1.2 anymore. 1.3 would be reasonable,
but I would even say 1.4 should be sufficient, given that 1.5/5.0 is
now available on all major platforms (including AIX ;-)) and 1.6/6.0 is
in beta stage...

Regards,

	Andreas

Re: [POLL] Base JDK version support for log4j 1.3?

Posted by Elias Ross <er...@m-qube.com>.
On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 11:31 -0600, Jess Holle wrote:

> I'd be fine with requiring Java 5 for log4j 1.3 and using the best
> concurrency, etc, utilities it has to offer.

Ah, "concurrency" -- my favorite Log4j word...  I can't really see what
Java 5 would provide in terms of better concurrency other than
standardized lock classes.

However, if you wanted, you could write your library as 1.5 then make it
run on 1.4:

http://retroweaver.sourceforge.net/

Re: [POLL] Base JDK version support for log4j 1.3?

Posted by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org>.
Part of the equation is also the web application servers like JBoss,
etc.  They are all on 1.5/5 now, but they weren't for a while there.

-Mark

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.

Posted by Boris Unckel <bo...@gmx.net>.

Posted by Paul Smith <ps...@aconex.com>.
I'd be happy with JDK 1.4 for log4j 1.3, and go 1.5 for log4j 2?

Paul

Posted by Mark Womack <mw...@apache.org>.

Posted by Endre Stølsvik <En...@Stolsvik.com>.
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Yoav Shapira wrote:

| Hola,
| Since 1.3 is so focused on backwards-compatibility, why even change
| the JDK version?  OTOH, log4j 2.0, which will hopefully be free to do
| more fun stuff, should be Java5 IMHO...

I totally agree.

Regards,
Endre.

Re: [POLL] Base JDK version support for log4j 1.3?

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
Hola,

Posted by Curt Arnold <ca...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jess Holle <je...@ptc.com>.