Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by solled <so...@msn.com> on 2008/06/16 18:36:33 UTC

How do I pass back data from HTML (javascript) to my Java code

Hi,

How do I get data generated by javascript functions to my Java code using
Wicket. For example, I have the following javascript code:

<script type="text/javascript">

    var map;
    var gdir;
    var geocoder = null;
    var addressMarker;
    var mileage;

    function initialize() {
      if (GBrowserIsCompatible()) {
        map = new GMap2(document.getElementById("map_canvas"));
        gdir = new GDirections(map, document.getElementById("directions"));
        GEvent.addListener(gdir, "load", onGDirectionsLoad);
        GEvent.addListener(gdir, "error", handleErrors);

        setDirections("", "", "en_US");

	  onGDirectionsLoad();
      }
    }

    function setDirections(fromAddress, toAddress, locale) {
      gdir.load("from: " + fromAddress + " to: " + toAddress,
                { "locale": locale });
    }

	function onGDirectionsLoad(){
      // Use this function to access information about the latest load()
      // results.

	document.getElementById("getDistance").innerHTML = gdir.getDistance().html;

	}
    </script>

How do I pass the getDistance value in function onGDirectionsLoad() to my
java code?

thanks for any help.

Re: How do I pass back data from HTML (javascript) to my Java code

Posted by richardwilko <ri...@gmail.com>.
You could create an abstractDefaultAjaxBehaviour in your page, then do an
ajax get onto it, appending your parameter as a url parameter, then get your
parameter from the request in java.  or you could have a wicket page, and do
an ajax get on that, appending your parameter as a url parameter, and get
your parameter from the page parameters.

Admittedly both ways seem a little hacky but i cant think of another way.

My presentation on google maps from the london wicket user group may be
helpful, as may the one about a gallery (not mine):
http://code.google.com/p/londonwicket/downloads/list

hope that helps