Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by jr...@redhat.com on 2011/10/21 22:11:39 UTC

0.14 release update - alpha is available

The 0.14 alpha is now cut at trunk revision 1187499:

   http://people.apache.org/~jross/qpid-0.14-alpha/

My smoke testing (on Fedora 15) uncovered one apparent failure in the
java distribution:

   https://gist.github.com/1304813

I also did some basic testing of the cpp and python tarballs, and
everything seems to be okay.  More testing is very much appreciated,
particularly in any area of relative expertise, and please report what you
find on the list.

Thanks!
Justin

---
0.14 release page: https://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/014-release.html

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org

Re: 0.14 release update - alpha is available

Posted by Carl Trieloff <cc...@redhat.com>.
On 10/30/2011 02:23 PM, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> I cant be sure as IANAL, but I believe publishing the bdbstore module
> would be ok. We still wouldnt be distributing the dependency
> ourselves, none of our other artifacts would depend on it so its still
> entirely optional, and there are certainly other Apache projects doing
> similar things.

As long as it is optional & we don't distribute BDB it is fine.

Carl.

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 31 Oct 2011, at 16h49, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> On 31 October 2011 16:41, Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 30 Oct 2011, at 18h23, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>>
>>> It doesnt seem like Oracle distribute it to the central repo and
>>> instead only publish to their own, so the version we use isnt
>>> available there currently (though an older verison does seem to be).
>>> As you know im not a regular Maven user...is publishing POMs that
>>> probably wont work without additional configuration by end users
>>> frowned upon, or just considered par for the course in situations like
>>> that?
>>
>> I think it isn't a problem, but to be nice we should probably add a repository element to the generated POM which will require tweaking the generation process somewhat.
>>

> Is that permitted for POMs in the central repo?

Hm, you're right, it isn't. As far as I can see there's no issue with a dependency that relies on a 'Well Known' repository, so maybe 'http://download.oracle.com/maven/' counts as such? The alternative is to publish their POM, with a 'downloadUrl' section in it:

  <distributionManagement>
    <downloadUrl>http://download.oracle.com/maven/com/sleepycat/je/4.0.103/je-4.0.103.jar</downloadUrl>
  </distributionManagement>
</project>

However, I don't think we can really do that on Maven Central either. At the moment, I think having the 'qpid-bdbstore' artifact published will be OK, since it is not a dependency of any other 'qpid-*' artifact, so anyone using it will know that they need the bdb jars as well. We can document this in the release notes.

Andrew.
--
-- andrew d kennedy ? +7584719571 : http://grkvlt.blogspot.com/ ;

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 31 Oct 2011, at 16h49, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> On 31 October 2011 16:41, Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 30 Oct 2011, at 18h23, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>>
>>> It doesnt seem like Oracle distribute it to the central repo and
>>> instead only publish to their own, so the version we use isnt
>>> available there currently (though an older verison does seem to be).
>>> As you know im not a regular Maven user...is publishing POMs that
>>> probably wont work without additional configuration by end users
>>> frowned upon, or just considered par for the course in situations like
>>> that?
>>
>> I think it isn't a problem, but to be nice we should probably add a repository element to the generated POM which will require tweaking the generation process somewhat.
>>

> Is that permitted for POMs in the central repo?

Further research of, e.g. 'lucene-bdb' and 'activemq-bdb-store' POM files in Maven Central indicates that the simply include a reference to the 'com.sleepycat:je' artifact, so I see no problem imitating this behaviour. We should probably link to the Oracle page on BDB Maven access in the release notes when mentioning the extra Maven artifacts. The relevant page is here:

	http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/berkeleydb/downloads/maven-087630.html

I have additionally upgraded the BDB version to 4.0.117, as this is the version in the 4.0.x stream that Oracle publish links to, including the POM file. See the download page, here:

	http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/berkeleydb/downloads/index-098622.html

Cheers,
Andrew.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
On 31 October 2011 16:41, Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 Oct 2011, at 18h23, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
>
>> It doesnt seem like Oracle distribute it to the central repo and
>> instead only publish to their own, so the version we use isnt
>> available there currently (though an older verison does seem to be).
>> As you know im not a regular Maven user...is publishing POMs that
>> probably wont work without additional configuration by end users
>> frowned upon, or just considered par for the course in situations like
>> that?
>
> I think it isn't a problem, but to be nice we should probably add a repository element to the generated POM which will require tweaking the generation process somewhat.

Is that permitted for POMs in the central repo?

Robbie

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com>.
On 30 Oct 2011, at 18h23, Robbie Gemmell wrote:
> I cant be sure as IANAL, but I believe publishing the bdbstore module
> would be ok. We still wouldnt be distributing the dependency
> ourselves, none of our other artifacts would depend on it so its still
> entirely optional, and there are certainly other Apache projects doing
> similar things.

This was my understanding also.

> Looking at what gets generated after applying the patch, it appears it
> could still do with some additional cleanup beyond just moving the
> test code (which seems reasonable) because it shouldnt depend on
> client or management-common either as far as I can see. There is also
> a typo in the bdb dependency version for the pom generation.

The qpid-bdbstore POM was a last minute addition, and I've made some changes to address those points. After a bit of further tidyup, I'll commit the patch, anyway.

> It doesnt seem like Oracle distribute it to the central repo and
> instead only publish to their own, so the version we use isnt
> available there currently (though an older verison does seem to be).
> As you know im not a regular Maven user...is publishing POMs that
> probably wont work without additional configuration by end users
> frowned upon, or just considered par for the course in situations like
> that?

I think it isn't a problem, but to be nice we should probably add a repository element to the generated POM which will require tweaking the generation process somewhat.

> BTW, the OSGI manifest isnt used for the regular jars (or by extension
> the maven artifacts), it only gets used when producing specific
> osgi'fied jars I dont think we actually ship. We should really just
> use them for the standard jars and make everything the same (but thats
> a change that probably should wait for the next release).

Yes, I noticed that, but didn't care too much at present. As you say, it can be dealt with in a later release. I simply wanted the .bnd file in place to allow modification in future.

Cheers,
Andrew.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>.
Hi, Andrew.  I don't object at all.  I'll have a chance to test it this
week before I prepare the final beta.

Justin

Posted by Andrew Kennedy <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com>.
On 31 October 2011 21:27, Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi, Keith.  I've created
>
>  https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/QPID-3566
>
> Let me know if there's anything more I should extract from my environment.
>
> Thanks,
> Justin

Thanks Justin, I'll take a look and response via the Jira.

Posted by Justin Ross <jr...@redhat.com>.
Hi, Keith.  I've created

Posted by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi Justin,

Posted by Keith W <ke...@gmail.com>.
Hi

I tested the Java Broker/Java Client and Qpid Management Console on
Mac OS X/Java 1.6.0_26 by running tests with Drain/Spout from the
examples jar.   No issues encountered.

cheers, Keith.

Posted by Chuck Rolke <cr...@redhat.com>.
It's covered in r1188271. -C