Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org> on 2001/11/01 04:35:35 UTC

In the effort of better managing our resources Apache wide, and specifically in our case in the scope of the Jakarta project, here is a little new addition to our set of "tools". A web-based forum system.

Some of you have asked "why" do we need a forum, aren't our mailing lists enough to support our needs? My reply is simple, we need both.

The on-line forum, first of all, allows you do a couple of nifty things that people asked: search messages in an intelligent way (our mail archives already do so, but most of the time, the precision of their search engine is not, well, the best you can get).

Plus, each question there is organized and threaded better than any Email client can do (there is a big discussion about how to interpret the In-Reply-To header, and some popular email clients "forget" to include it in messages), and the topics are way more visible than on a mailing list with an average of more than 200 messages a day.

There are some more features, like: wouldn't it be nice to be able to be notified and receive replies only to MY particular question, avoiding all the other hundreds of emails that flow daily to your mail client? Well, a web forum allows you to do that, you can create a thread, the one with your little particular problem, and "watch it", being notified via email about what replies I got only to my problem. Or looking and being notified about that little problem I had and was reported by another guy... All that can be done only thru a well-managed forum, and the current internet-mail system is not sufficient to achieve that.

And PLUS, every message you send thru the web-forum is actually "mirrored" on our mailing list (I'm still figuring out how to do the opposite, but given enough brainpower -which I don't have at the moment - I'm sure I can do that!), so everyone will see it (nope, you won't loose visibility, and you don't have to post your messages twice).

I just a couple of little favors to ask you all. If you see a message coming from the web-forum (and you will recognize it by the lines at the bottom of the message, take this one for example), and you want to reply, don't simply hit "reply" on your client, but instead click on the link at the bottom, and respond on-line. Your message will be archieved, stored, and you won't have to reply to the same question anymore. And if you want to reply to someone on the list, before doing so, check whether the same question has already been answered on the forum. The more we use it now, the less we'll have to use it in the future.

Last little question, please, if you see something wrong or offensive on the forum, please notify <ma...@jakarta.apache.org>, and we'll be able to remove it...

Thanks for listening...

    Pier

This message has been posted through the Jakarta Tomcat 4.0 F.A.Q.
on line forum, and can be seen at:
<http://nagoya.apache.org:8080/jive/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=3>
For more informations about the on-line Jakarta forums, please go to:
<http://nagoya.apache.org:8080/jive/>

Re: Welcome to the Tomcat 4.0 F.A.Q. on-line forum.

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com>.
Quoting Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>:

> Bill Barker at wbarker@wilshire.com wrote:
>
> > I know that Jon has already pointed out that Sun is going to sue the
> 3.x
> > branch out of Jakarta in five months,
>
> I don't think Jon said that, and as a Sun employee I can guarantee
> that
> Tomcat 3.x remains one of our strongholds AND the official servlet 2.2
> container / jsp 1.1 engine used in the J2EE reference implementation.
>
> Probably most of the people from Sun you see on the mailing list are
> more
> "connected" with 4.0 as we're developing for the new release(s) of the
> spec,
> but 3.x is still one of our major focuses in terms of integration.

Pier & Craig (and other Sun people out there), would you guys be able to grab
one of your company lawyers for 5 minutes to ask about the TC 3.x license expiry
issue (that was the issue what Jon pointed out, I believe). It would be nice to
know the official version of the license interpretation.

Bojan

Re: Welcome to the Tomcat 4.0 F.A.Q. on-line forum.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
Bill Barker at wbarker@wilshire.com wrote:

> I know that Jon has already pointed out that Sun is going to sue the 3.x
> branch out of Jakarta in five months,

I don't think Jon said that, and as a Sun employee I can guarantee that
Tomcat 3.x remains one of our strongholds AND the official servlet 2.2
container / jsp 1.1 engine used in the J2EE reference implementation.

Probably most of the people from Sun you see on the mailing list are more
"connected" with 4.0 as we're developing for the new release(s) of the spec,
but 3.x is still one of our major focuses in terms of integration.

> but is there any chance of setting this up in the mean time for 3.x?

Why don't you _look_ before sending emails? It has been there together with
the 4.0 forum since the beginning... I just posted _my_ welcome in the 4.0
forum since it's _there_ that I'm involved :)

    Pier

Re: Welcome to the Tomcat 4.0 F.A.Q. on-line forum.

Posted by Bill Barker <wb...@wilshire.com>.
I know that Jon has already pointed out that Sun is going to sue the 3.x
branch out of Jakarta in five months, but is there any chance of setting

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
> For additional commands, e-mail:
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

*----*

This message is intended only for the use of the person(s) listed above
as the intended recipient(s), and may contain information that is
PRIVILEGED and CONFIDENTIAL.  If you are not an intended recipient,
you may not read, copy, or distribute this message or any attachment.
If you received this communication in error, please notify us immediately
by e-mail and then delete all copies of this message and any attachments.

In addition you should be aware that ordinary (unencrypted) e-mail sent
through the Internet is not secure. Do not send confidential or sensitive
information, such as social security numbers, account numbers, personal
identification numbers and passwords, to us via ordinary (unencrypted)
e-mail.

FW: Welcome to the Tomcat 4.0 F.A.Q. on-line forum.

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
FYI....

    Pier

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.