Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Len Bellemore <Le...@ControlCircle.com> on 2013/10/07 12:37:44 UTC

question about snapshots and Windows Volume Shadow Copy

Hi Guys,

I've been asked if Cloudstack snapshots integrate in any way with Windows Volume Shadow Copy.  I guess the question is really about what type of "backup" does cloudstack actually provide. Is it only crash consistent?  I know with 4.2 we have VMWare snapshot support, which is a really great feature addition, but with XenServer, what are my options?

Thanks
Len

________________________________
IMPORTANT NOTICE. This electronic message contains information from Control Circle Ltd, which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended for use only by the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify me by telephone or email (to the number or email address above) immediately. Activity and use of the ControlCircle e-mail system is monitored to secure its effective operation and for other lawful business purposes. Communications using this system will also be monitored and may be recorded to secure effective operation and for other lawful business purposes

Re: question about snapshots and Windows Volume Shadow Copy

Posted by David Comerford <da...@gmail.com>.
Can't say I've tried it personally but the docs for XS 6.1 say that Tools
does have support for VSS but it's not enabled by default? Odd.

http://docs.vmd.citrix.com/XenServer/6.1.0/1.0/en_gb/guest.html#windows_vssdrivers

Best regards,
David Comerford
Tel: +353 87 1238295