Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Simon Kelly <ke...@ipe.fzk.de> on 2003/06/27 09:00:50 UTC

Deprecation of perform()

Hi all,

In Struts-1.1-rc2, I'm getting an warning during compilation that the
perform() method has been depreciated.  I was under the impression that
execute() had been depreciated in fafour of perform().

Could someone comment please.

Thanks

Simon

"I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more than all
the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinion of himself than
on the opinion of others." -- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg

Institut fuer
Prozessdatenverarbeitung
und Elektronik,
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe GmbH,
Postfach 3640,
D-76021 Karlsruhe,
Germany.

Tel: (+49)/7247 82-4042
E-mail : kelly@ipe.fzk.de

Re: Deprecation of perform()

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003, Simon Kelly wrote:

> Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:00:50 +0200
> From: Simon Kelly <ke...@ipe.fzk.de>
> Subject: Deprecation of perform()
>
> Hi all,
>
> In Struts-1.1-rc2, I'm getting an warning during compilation that the
> perform() method has been depreciated.  I was under the impression that
> execute() had been depreciated in fafour of perform().

If you peruse the JavaDocs, you'll find that you have it backwards --
perform() was deprecated in favor of execute().  The reason for this was
to allow execute() to throw any Exception so that it can trigger the
declarative exception handling feature in 1.1.

Therefore, the Javadocs for perform() have the following comment:

  @deprecated Use the <code>execute()</code> method instead

> Could someone comment please.
>
> Thanks
>
> Simon

Craig

Re: Deprecation of perform()

Posted by Simon Kelly <ke...@ipe.fzk.de>.
Thanks Dirk,

I had a little problem a while ago with this, during a change for release,
where I had been using execute() which then failed to work moving upto
1.0.2. I switched to perform() and all was fine again.

I'll give execute a go, and see hwat happens this time :-)

Cheers, and thanks again.

Simon

Re: Deprecation of perform()

Posted by Dirk Markert <di...@dr-markert.de>.
Hello Simon,

Re: [FRIDAY] Lichtenberg quote [WAS: RE: Deprecation of perform()]

Posted by Simon Kelly <ke...@ipe.fzk.de>.
So Attila, who are things with your mongel horde?

Posted by Andrew Hill <an...@gridnode.com>.
You know its funny but I cant actually recall seeing that on 'late night'...
oh hang on - Wrong Conan!

<snip>
Mongol General: We have won again. That is good! But what is best in life?
Mongol Warrior: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcon on your wrist, wind in
your hair!
Mongol General: Wrong! Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the
lamentations of their women!
Mongol General: That is good.
</snip>

Posted by Matthew Van Horn <ho...@accesstech.com>.
My own favorite quote is:

Posted by Matthew Van Horn <ho...@accesstech.com>.
my favorite is

Posted by Simon Kelly <ke...@ipe.fzk.de>.
A really old German dude.

I must change that quote as well. I've had it too long.

Here's a thought.  Below is a select of good quotes. Vote for your favorite!

"Consider the postage stamp: its usefulness consists in the ability to stick
to one thing till it gets there." -- Josh Billings

"It is all one to me if a man comes from Sing Sing or Harvard.  We hire a
man, not his history." -- Henry Ford

"We are told never to cross a bridge until we come to it, but this world is
owned by men who have crossed bridges in their imagination far ahead of the
crowd." -- Anon

"Dont be afraid to take a big step. You cant cross a chasm in two small
jumps." -- David Lloyd George

"The cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." -- Oscar
Wilde

"We sometimes meet an original gentleman, who, if manners had not existed,
would have invented them." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"There are times when one would like to hang the whole human race, and
finish the farce." -- Mark Twain

And two from Frank Lloyd Wright

"An expert is a man who has stopped thinking - he knows!"

Re: Deprecation of perform()

Posted by Sandeep Takhar <sa...@yahoo.com>.
don't know if someone commented, but it is the other
way around.

sandeep