Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com> on 2002/08/27 17:08:29 UTC

2: Please help! Caching or Threadproblem or what else?

I forgot one important detail:
This happens only if tomcat was restarted or if the xsp-file changed on disk.
The second and all follwing requests come out super fluid,
even if I use noncaching pipeline.

Regards,
Michael

Re: 2: Please help! Caching or Threadproblem or what else?

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.
"Enke, Michael" wrote:

> "Enke, Michael" wrote:
> >
> > Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> > > But this means that this is not related to Java - Java's total memory is
> > > limited to ... whatever you specify.
> > >
> > > Or this can be bug in JDK (less possible). What do you think?

I found this is a bug in pizza compiler. Now I have Javac configured in cocoon.xconf,
all is working well.

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.
"Enke, Michael" wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> >
> > Enke, Michael wrote:
> >
> > >I tried it now under Windows ME:
> > >The swap file C:\WINDOWS\WIN386.SWP
> > >was growing until C:\ was full (swap file size about 500 MB) :-(
> > >

> > But this means that this is not related to Java - Java's total memory is
> > limited to ... whatever you specify.
> >
> > Or this can be bug in JDK (less possible). What do you think?

here I post the problematic file. I let it run from command line after setting CLASSPATH:
java -Djdbc.drivers=$my_DB_driver_class org.apache.cocoon.Main -c . -u ERROR test801.xml
(no further transformation).

Interesting are only the last few lines where I produce the mass data
(for loop with createRow method). I print the rownumber to System.out.

1) I changed the namespace for esql logicsheet so that esql is not applied:
   At line 1271 there is a one second delay,
   after this it is going on. That's probably the gc? I don't know.
   The memory consumption is ok (20 ... 25 percent).

2) With correct namespace, when esql is applied, it blocks at rowNumber 1271,
   sometimes for one minute, sometimes forever.
   I use only one sql statement: String SQL_QUERY="select 0,0" (I have postgres)
   so you can easily change for other DB system, e.g. select 0 from dual (for Oracle)
   I watch the memory usage with the command "top" (on linux), delay between updates
   1 second, sort by memory usage. The percent MEM is: 20% ... 30% ... 40% ...
    50% ... 82% ... 42% ... 60% ... 70% ... 80% ... 80% ... 80% ... always 80%
   I have 320MB physical memory and 264MB swap space.
   StoreJanitor settings are the default values from cocoon.xconf

If I cut some code before the for loop (which has no relevance to the loop),
the blocking disappears, than there is only delay of 1 second ... 1 minute,
depends how mutch code is removed.

Maybe this a problem of StoreJanitor?

I appreciate for any help.

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Enke, Michael wrote:
>
> >I tried it now under Windows ME:
> >The swap file C:\WINDOWS\WIN386.SWP
> >was growing until C:\ was full (swap file size about 500 MB) :-(
> >

> But this means that this is not related to Java - Java's total memory is
> limited to ... whatever you specify.
>
> Or this can be bug in JDK (less possible). What do you think?

I don't know. My second guess was that it is the virtual machine problem.
That's why I got the latest version 1.4.0_01
My setup:
Machine 1: Linux: postgresql Database
Machine 2: Windows ME: Tomcat 4.1.9 with Cocoon-2.1-dev
Machine 3: Windows NT: Browser. download xml produced from Machine 2

So I have no influence from the DB (only the JDBC driver) and no influence from
downloading the file. At this time I did not yet succeed in running Cocoon
standalone on Windows because I cann't see the missing jars because the
ClassNotFoundException in DOS-box scrolls out and I cann't redirect output to a file ...

But on a linux machine I have the same behaviour if I run java org.apache.cocoon.Main.

I will try at the weekend to remove all database dependent code so that I can post
my xsp on monday.

Nice weekend,

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Enke, Michael wrote:

>I tried it now under Windows ME:
>The swap file C:\WINDOWS\WIN386.SWP
>was growing until C:\ was full (swap file size about 500 MB) :-(

But this means that this is not related to Java - Java's total memory is
limited to ... whatever you specify.

Or this can be bug in JDK (less possible). What do you think?

Vadim

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.

Posted by Klaus Bertram <k....@kbsm.de>.
Michael wrote:
>Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>>
>> >It does also not help to call this xsp ones with small data amount
>> >and the second time with large data amount (giving the amount as request value).
>> >
>> >I know the process ID (Linux) of the thread which stops the system.
>> >Is there any way to know if this thread is the garbage collection thread?
>> >

>> Delay in small XSP can be explained as gc, but system hang-up... I
>> doubt. StoreJanitor monitors memory state and logs everything to the log
>> file - do you see any suspicious activity there? if not, it is not gc issue.
>>

>Nothing suspicious in the logfile:
>DEBUG   (2002-08-29) 16:23.49:350   [core.store.janitor] (Unknown-URI) Unknown-thread/StoreJanitorImpl: JVM total Memory: 49377280
>DEBUG   (2002-08-29) 16:23.49:351   [core.store.janitor] (Unknown-URI) Unknown-thread/StoreJanitorImpl: JVM free Memory: 12260168
>DEBUG   (2002-08-29) 16:23.49:351   [core.store.janitor] (Unknown-URI) Unknown-thread/StoreJanitorImpl: Memory is low = false
>

>Michael

Is your jdk is sun 1.3 ?
they had with this problems by large memory and thread's Stand of jan 02

Klaus

Re: 2: Please help! Caching or Threadproblem or what else?

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.
Enke, Michael wrote:

>Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>

>>>That would mean cocoon cann't serve complex xsp's with more than
>>>

>>Why can't? You said that there is delay, that's it. So, it can, but with
>>delay, and only after XSP is modified (AFAIU). What's wrong with it,
>>especially if it is garbage collector cleaning up compilation trees and
>>variables?
>>

>The delay I have only on this sample page I appended to my mail.
>My real xsp makes the system sometimes absolutely hanging, sometimes
>tomcat stops work but without any hint in the logs.

Ok, got you.

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.

Posted by Vadim Gritsenko <va...@verizon.net>.

Posted by "Enke, Michael" <mi...@wincor-nixdorf.com>.