Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Zhou Lin Dai <da...@cn.ibm.com> on 2008/07/08 10:30:04 UTC

'deletable' indexing files are not deleted on RHEL5

Hi

I'm using Lucene on a RHEL5 box. The indexing folder is growing extremely
large, more than 20 GB, with a lot 'deletable' indexing files. It runs out
of the disk. I have to clear the entire folder and start indexing from
blank. The code ran fine before I moved it onto RHEL5. Does that matter?
Can anyone give some suggestions on how to solve this issue?

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Frank Dai (Dai Zhoulin 戴周林)
Lotus Connections - Dogear Development, WPLC
China Development Lab, IBM Shanghai
TEL:(86-21)60928189
Internet ID: daizhoul@cn.ibm.com
Addr: 4F, No 78, Lane 887, Zu Chong Zhi Road, Zhang Jiang High Tech Park,
201203, Shanghai, China
My Blog: http://www.daizhoulin.com/wordpress

Re: 'deletable' indexing files are not deleted on RHEL5

Posted by Michael McCandless <lu...@mikemccandless.com>.
What do you mean by "deletable" indexing files?

Moving to RHEL5 should have no effect (vs other platforms) on how much
disk space is used.

However, Lucene's disk usage can be surprising.  While merging
segments it will temporarily require free space equal to the size of
the resulting merged segment.  For a large merge this can be a sizable
percentage of your total index size.

Mike

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Assuming your indexing completes, after the whole thing is
done and the process terminates, what is the size of
your index?

Is it possible that your old box had lots more disk space
and you just never noticed the (perhaps temporary) disk
space usage?

Best
Erick