Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Sebastian Mohr <ma...@gmail.com> on 2012/10/02 11:01:23 UTC

Apache Flex GUI Designer tools

Dear all,

Now, that we have seen the brave, new world of HTML5 designer tools formally
announced by Adobe [1] [2], I wonder: What is the current state of designer tools
for Apache Flex? I remember that there had been discussions about donating or
selling those past designer tools like Flash Catalyst CS5.5 [3] [4], Flash Builder 4.5
MXML Design View [5] [6] and Flex Builder 3 CSS Design View [7].

For the moment, I have the impression, that we are stuck into a world of
delusion until Adobe has caught their wild gone UI horses again. Are there
any news that Adobe or Spoon can share on this mailing list?

p.s. If you agree on what I have written here, please sign this petition [8].

Sincerely Yours,

Sebastian Mohr
Apache Flex Developer (PPMC),
Interaction Designer & Musician
http://www.linkedin.com/in/masuland

[1] http://html.adobe.com/
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efWKWxNu4zY
[3] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashcatalyst/articles/introducing-flashcatalyst-cs55.html
[4] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashcatalyst/articles/get_started_with_flash_catalyst.html
[5] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash-builder/articles/whatsnew-flashbuilder-45.html
[6] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash-builder/articles/design-view-extensions-faq.html
[7] http://my.safaribooksonline.com/book/programming/flex/9780321591098/styling/ch04lev1sec7
[8] http://www.change.org/petitions/adobe-systems-flash-catalyst-must-survive

Re: Apache Flex GUI Designer tools

Posted by Joan Llenas Masó <jo...@garnetworks.com>.
Yes, 6 years is a lot of time... I couldn't remember the name neither.
What I knew was that John Grden was behind it which was helpful.

Cheers!

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Posted by Joan Llenas Masó <jo...@garnetworks.com>.

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

--

Posted by te...@teotigraphix.com.
Quoting Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>:

> You are welcome to open a JIRA ticket for Apache Flex and try to see if you
> can define requirements in priority order.  Remember that this is a
> volunteer organization so you can't just say "replicate DV".  What are the
> most important aspects of DV?  Is one of them IDE integration?  If so, why?
> An AIR DV could certainly launch an ant script to build your changes.

Just reiterating on something I said in a previous post to this; If a
project could start, start small with a prototype only doing the
basic. Then slowly add functionality. This would be very important for
an endeavor like a DesignView.

I have written Eclipse plugins before, I have no idea how to write an
IDEA plugin, I looked and saw I would have to learn a very different
framework.

With the new compiler and it's AST and definitions, it would make
something like this a whole lot easier, and I'm speaking from 2 weeks
experience with the code.

I want to mention one more thing here. Acting as a developer of
something like a design view, there is a huge overwhelming fear that
it could lose interest and get abandoned purely out of volunteers
moving, or working on other things. Loosing traction on a project like
this when you spent time developing it and know you could have been
doing something else is always in developers minds.

So add the risk factor as well. For years I have heard Flex developers
say they use it all the time to others saying it was a waste of time
and time should have been spent on the more important features.

Mike

PS On the plus side with an AIR implementation, being written with
Flex would be a boost to the whole project because you would be using
the framework components and creating new ones purely out of the need
for the new functionality. It could almost act as a live garden of
growth for the framework.

Re: Apache Flex GUI Designer tools

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 10/2/12 10:30 AM, "Stakesoft" <ma...@stakesoft.com> wrote:

> That's all very well but (DV aside) FB is far better and we are used to it.
> It's not very useful to run 2 IDE's alongside otherwise we could use FB4.6 and
> FB4.7 nor is it a forward step to use a different IDE.
I agree.  I've been wondering if it is possible to create plugins for both
IDE's that can host a SWF.

> Wanting another IDE to get better just because the Adobe one has just got
> worse is sole destroying, as is spending good time and money on an IDE that's
> now going to be of little use. I don't want to get into a rant, I'd rather be
> constructive.
>
> Is Apache at least sympathetic towards this, does Adobe care about this. Is
> there any hope at all?
I would say that Adobe cares, but that doesn't mean that they will commit
resources or donate DV code.  Many difficult decisions were made last year,
and I haven't seen any reason to change any of them.

--
Alex Harui
Flex SDK Team

RE: Apache Flex GUI Designer tools

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com

Re: Apache Flex GUI Designer tools

Posted by Charles Monteiro <ch...@monteirosfusion.com>.

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com

RE: Apache Flex GUI Designer tools

Posted by Marcos Martinelli Paegle <ma...@hotmail.com>.
I dream of Flex running on a JVM, is possible? That would be really cool ...

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
This whole conversation is really making want to check out what Google
is doing in the UI designer plugin (source code).

Note; This is another reason why this probably won't happen, more than
one IDE, people have love/hate relationships with them all. So who do
you make happy?

I'm sure that is why Peter Ent suggested an AIR app since the
community could use their existing skills and work together in a
unified code base.

Mike

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Mohr <ma...@gmail.com>.

[1] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xirIHMtpc4c
[2] http://www.adobe.com/devnet/html5/articles/bracket-code-architecture.html

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Sebastian Mohr <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.
Quoting Charles Monteiro <ch...@monteirosfusion.com>:

>> Now if we get some revolution going with AS -> JS compiling that is not
>> using the Flash API, then it's time to really start thinking about a design
>> inspector. ;-)Now if we get some revolution going with AS -> JS compiling
>> that is not using the Flash API, then it's time to really start thinking
>> about a design inspector. ;-)
>

> why is that compelling ? If I wanted to compile to JS in general why not
> use something like coffee-script that is elegant or use Appcelerator  which
> has all the tooling there. AS -> JS , to me just seems like a way of
> porting away from AS.
>
> The reason why I care about Flex is because AIR runs on all the platforms I
> care about and secondarily yes, in general I like the framework.
>
> -Charles

It's not compelling, anyway I don't want to learn coffescript or use
Appcelerator. I don't even design in html/js.

Don't forget why a lot of people work on opensource, it's fun and a
hobby. I like the AS3 language, that is enough for me to dream of
other ways the language could be used.

If I'm totally wrong about this, who really cares? I love compilers,
if someone dreams up a way to have fun with a crosscompiler, I'm going
to work on it for fun.

I detached my business from Adobe and the Flash Player/AIR for
specific reasons, I did not detach myself from the AS language or MXML
for that matter.

PS I think compile targets is what I am talking about here. I don't
want to step on your opinion either.

Mike

Posted by Charles Monteiro <ch...@monteirosfusion.com>.

> Now if we get some revolution going with AS -> JS compiling that is not
> using the Flash API, then it's time to really start thinking about a design
> inspector. ;-)Now if we get some revolution going with AS -> JS compiling
> that is not using the Flash API, then it's time to really start thinking
> about a design inspector. ;-)

why is that compelling ? If I wanted to compile to JS in general why not
use something like coffee-script that is elegant or use Appcelerator  which
has all the tooling there. AS -> JS , to me just seems like a way of
porting away from AS.

The reason why I care about Flex is because AIR runs on all the platforms I
care about and secondarily yes, in general I like the framework.

-Charles

--
Charles A. Monteiro
www.monteirosfusion.com

Re: Apache Flex GUI Designer tools

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Posted by Peter Ent <pe...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Michael Schmalle <ap...@teotigraphix.com>.

Posted by Stakesoft <ma...@stakesoft.com>.
Anything visual to be able to design the UI is better than none, I'll sign anything to support the return of a DV

Nigel

Posted by Sebastian Mohr <ma...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Marcos Martinelli Paegle <ma...@hotmail.com>.