Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Lee Mallabone <le...@grantadesign.com> on 2002/09/05 17:53:47 UTC

results with field weighting

Hi,

I'm developing a website with Lucene and one of the requirements is that
the ranking of search results is affected by weights on different
fields.

So titles need to be weighted at 25, body text at 1, and other fields at
5 and 10.

I'm using the Query parser to specify the boost per field. Typically:

title:(jim and bob)^25 OR body:(jim and bob)^1 ... etc...

However, when I use queries with boosts specified I get significantly
less results back than when I use a query with no boosts specified!
Using a hit collector makes no difference to the size of the results.

Is this expected/known behaviour for lucene? Have other people
successfully used the query parser with boosts on live sites?

Is it possible that the boosts are causing some documents to simply
score zero, despite containing search terms?

Lee Mallabone.