Posted to derby-user@db.apache.org by Daniel Tripp <dt...@activecore.com> on 2005/08/11 05:00:14 UTC

select: limit # of rows returned

Hello.  I'm trying to limit the number of rows returned by a select
statement.  I know that other databases have way to do this, such as:

select * top 10 from thetable

set rowcount 5
select * from thetable

select * from thetable limit 10

But I gather that these are particular to MySQL / MS SQL / whatever.
Done anyone know of a way that this can be done with Derby?

Re: select: limit # of rows returned

Posted by Amit Modi <am...@persistent.co.in>.
Daniel Tripp wrote:

> Hello.  I'm trying to limit the number of rows returned by a select
> statement.  I know that other databases have way to do this, such as:
>
> select * top 10 from thetable
>
> set rowcount 5
> select * from thetable
>
> select * from thetable limit 10
>
> But I gather that these are particular to MySQL / MS SQL / whatever.
> Done anyone know of a way that this can be done with Derby?

Hi Daniel,
    I was having same situation in my project,
    I have one solution which works quite well, not very sure whether it
is proper or not,
    You can set max count on the java.sql.Statement object in java.
And once you have set, then execute the query.

Hope this will solve your problem.

Regards:
Amit Modi

Re: select: limit # of rows returned

Posted by Danesh <da...@gmail.com>.
This is DB2 syntax but it might work with Derby.. try

select * from thetable fetch first 5 rows only

Regards,
~danesh