Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Maxim Vexler <hq...@gmail.com> on 2005/05/25 10:00:44 UTC

[users@httpd] What software do you use for Apache log statistics generation ?

I'm swinging between Webalizer and AWStats.
What would you recommend ?

Also, how do you do log parsing? Do you run the parser on the server,
or maybe you download the logs to another machine and do the parsing
there ?
Is the a test case for this or something ?

I should mention that the web server itself is w2k3 running Apache 2.0.52.
But (of curse) Linux boxes are available too (though not on the same
subnet as the server).

Tips / Comments are always welcome.
Thank you.

--
Cheers,
Maxim Vexler (hq4ever).

Do u GNU ?

Re: [users@httpd] What software do you use for Apache log statistics generation ?

Posted by Davide Bianchi <da...@onlyforfun.net>.
Maxim Vexler wrote:
> I'm swinging between Webalizer and AWStats.
> What would you recommend ?

Attention at awstats, not-really-new versions have nasty bugs that allow
anyone to get access to your machine.
See http://www.blogherald.com/2005/02/03/awstats-exploit-downs-blogs

Davide

Re: [users@httpd] What software do you use for Apache log statistics generation ?

Posted by Maxim Vexler <hq...@gmail.com>.
On 5/27/05, dan <in...@hostinthebox.net> wrote:

> [blah blah blah trash talk and "your mom" insults]
>
> I'm sorry, I missed the start of this conversation.  Does AWStats
> suffice for this project?  It does run on Windows.  It's a bit slow, but
> it's free (No, not as in beer), and customers tend to like it because
> it's "pretty".
>
> I made a simple scheduled task that rotated and archived logs with a
> little bit of .bat hackery that works wonders.
>
> This overall might be a solution for you.  Hope it helps.
>
> Thanks
> -dant

Would you mind posting the .bat file to the list ?
(or to me personally if you have what so ever reason too)

Thank you.

Posted by dan <in...@hostinthebox.net>.

Posted by Maxim Vexler <hq...@gmail.com>.
On 5/26/05, Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> From: "Maxim Vexler"
>
> > I should mention that the web server
> > itself is w2k3 running Apache 2.0.52.
>
> Security First?

When you say security you actually mean: The very "surprising" need to
restart the server every 2-3 weeks for a new "critical patch" ?

I should also mention that Apache httpd running on debian stable
serving a million pages per day without a single crash (this from the
experience of a colleague), while this MS server (which I am in a very
out of luck situation forced to manage) crashes & restarts itself
about once every 18h.

> Does ASF's Apache use the
> Microsoft designed (for any
> OS) Safer CRT libraries?

I have no idea what are you talking about.
Could you please explain.

> Perhaps for one's web logs,
> below is a link to a product
> that runs on Windows and
> deals with logs (and with a lot
> more). Plus it's free too!

Thank you, I cherish my freedom on step further then "free beer".

> MSN Search
> http://search.msn.com/results.aspx?q=Log%20Parser%202.2

[clipped a bunch of demagogic sales person bullsh*t]

> Jeff

Nice to have you around, Jeff.

Posted by Jeff White <jl...@earthlink.net>.
From: "Maxim Vexler"