Posted to soap-dev@ws.apache.org by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com> on 2000/07/08 06:16:06 UTC

when shall we do a build and dist?

The current release of Apache SOAP is apparently not usable
out-of-the-box because Sam and I screwed up (me much more than
Sam 'cause I was spsed to test things) and didn't remove some
extra stuff from the deploy.jsp file. I'd like to have a version
of Apache SOAP that's stable and working out of the box so
that other things such as the NASSL Toolkit can base off of that.
(The only reason we didn't was because the current dist is not clean.)

So, shall we do a distribution soon (like in a week)? We haven't
done many changes yet - some cleanup on the router jsp and added
some new serializers etc.. I can do some more work on the router
and also convert it to a servlet before the release.

Is there anything else that's vital right now? The code should
be pretty stable and solid IMO. I suggest we call this new
release v2.0 of Apache SOAP and consider that pretty much the
baseline version for Apache SOAP.

Along these same lines, we need some kind of release manager
person to do the production builds, etc. etc.. I believe Sam
plays that role for Jakarta. Is someone willing to take on
that role?

Sanjiva.

Re: when shall we do a build and dist? commit for Harmeet

Posted by Harmeet Bedi <hb...@hotmail.com>.
thanks all,

I will play with the build files from CVS, is there some documentation or
some
guidelines that would help. If not I can write something that makes sense to
me and send it around.

I may need
- Commit access to CVS. May need to modify build files.
- Write access to FTP. And where to put usual and release builds.
- How often should builds be done. Are they daily, weekly, or whenever some
wants.
- Instructions/pointers from anyone who has done this before. This is
my first brush with Open Source volunteer work and I would appreciate all
the help I can get.

Harmeet

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@watson.ibm.com>.
This is definitely a severe problem; can you please post the diffs so
that they can be put in immediately?

On a related note, since we're at an early stage, I'd like to nominate
you as a committer. You mentioned that you've got some other changes
that may be committed too.

Other committers, please +1 or -1 Kevin's commit status.

Thanks,

Sanjiva.