Posted to dev@streampipes.apache.org by Dominik Riemer <ri...@apache.org> on 2021/05/27 20:04:39 UTC

Improve discovery of pipeline elements

Hi all,

I think one of the things we can improve is the discovery of pipeline
elements from a user perspective. Although we have some features to ease
finding the appropriate pipeline elements (search by name or category, and
the compatible elements and recommended elements feature), it seems with a
growing number of pipeline elements it is hard for users to find the "right"
pipeline element that serves their needs.

One important piece is improving the documentation where Mohan has just
recently made very good improvements. But I'm thinking how we can further
improve the discovery. Perhaps we can add tags (e.g., extend the SDK to
allow developers to add a set of identifying tags for each pipeline element,
I think this something the Nifi guys are doing)? Or maybe assign pipeline
elements to a better set of categories and have a dialog that allows to
browse the different categories and let users quickly browse through the
description of each pipeline element?

Do you have any ideas how we can improve this?

Dominik