Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Lance Bader <ld...@gmail.com> on 2007/04/02 17:23:15 UTC

Are the web-facesconfig_1_0.dtd and web-facesconfig_1_1.dtd files really SUN confidential/proprietary property?

I am disturbed by the web-facesconfig_1_0.dtd and web-facesconfig_1_1.dtd
files included in myfaces-impl-1.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar. The prolog in both files
says

<!--
 Copyright 2004 Sun Microsystems, Inc. All rights reserved.
 SUN PROPRIETARY/CONFIDENTIAL. Use is subject to license terms.
-->

I'm willing to believe that a Sun developer forgot to clean up the prologs
when these DTD files were released, but I don't want to lose my job because
I have distributed restricted SUN property.

I have done some homework.  The subject files are available from the Sun
Developers Site at http://java.sun.com/dtd/ where Sun declares that "Unless
otherwise licensed, code in all technical manuals herein (including
articles, FAQs, samples) is provided under this License." and "this License"
links to the same Sun License included in myfaces-impl-1.2.0-SNAPSHOT.jar.
The problem is that this blanket statement does not apply to something
declared proprietary/confidential; something declared
proprietary/confidential is "otherwise licensed" and cannot be distributed.

Can someone show me evidence that Sun permits these files to be
distributed?  Maybe there is a special agreement with the Apache Software
Foundation that can be referenced.

Are these files just included as a convenience?  What would break if I just
removed them from the JAR?

It's not a perfect world,

Lance

Re: Are the web-facesconfig_1_0.dtd and web-facesconfig_1_1.dtd files really SUN confidential/proprietary property?

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Maybe someone who is subscribed to legal-discuss (I'm not) can post
the issue over there and see if there's any consensus, then report the
results back here?

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.
On Apr 2, 2007, at 5:53 PM, Martin Marinschek wrote:

> First - it's just a convenience, so you could remove it if you wanted,
> with the possible disadvantages that Mike mentioned.
>
> Second - the files were originally included, I removed them after
> licensing issues were mentioned - then there was a lengthy discussion
> (which I don't remember anymore), after which I committed them again
> as they seemed to be save.
>
> Typing them in by hand might be a save way to get around all
> eventual problems.

I attached a hand typed version of web-facesconfig_1_2.xsd to
MYFACES-1582.

Best wishes,
Paul

Re: Are the web-facesconfig_1_0.dtd and web-facesconfig_1_1.dtd files really SUN confidential/proprietary property?

Posted by Martin Marinschek <ma...@gmail.com>.

--

http://www.irian.at

Your JSF powerhouse -
JSF Consulting, Development and
Courses in English and German

Professional Support for Apache MyFaces

Re: Are the web-facesconfig_1_0.dtd and web-facesconfig_1_1.dtd files really SUN confidential/proprietary property?

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Paul McMahan <pa...@gmail.com>.

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Over in geronimo we noticed this text and have responded by:

1. for the schemas that we generate code from (using xmlbeans or
jaxb) we checked the schemas into a non-publically-accessible
repository (with our tck stuff) and generate the code there, and
publish source and binary jars, both without the schemas themselves.

2. We also have an ongoing effort to produce unencumbered schemas.
Apparently (IANAL) the actual schema/dtd is not copyrightable as it
is an interface specification, the part that is copyrightable is the
comments, annotations, etc.  So, we have been typing up the schemas
ourselves without any of the descriptive material.

I don't remember the exact history but I think that Sun declined to
change or clarify the licensing terms so we could redistribute the
sun schemas themselves.  It's also possible that we just couldn't get
an answer.

My understanding is that tomcat svn includes quite a number of
schemas/dtds with these license conditions, and that this is ok
because they were checked into svn (or more likely cvs) by sun
employees who presumably had the proper authorization to do so.

How something that is freely available on the web without going
through even a clickthrough license can be maintained to be
confidential is a question I can only assume lawyers would love to
answer.

thanks
david jencks

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
One other thing to note is that the sun 1.1 dtd file is included
verbatim as part of the JSF spec.

See 10.3.3 Application Configuration Resource Format

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mike Kienenberger <mk...@gmail.com>.
Lance,