Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Steve Dwire <sd...@pcsigroup.com> on 2003/08/21 14:27:11 UTC

WC locked. Can't cleanup: .svn/tmp/text-base is empty

Brand Newbie question here. I just created my first repository (yay) and
imported the latest source of my current project (double-yay). I created
a workspace (C:\test) and now I'm trying to update my workspace from my
repository.

Everything's going swimmingly until the update hits a snag with a io
error. One of my directories has >3200 files in it. When I look at my
working copy, it has fewer than 2200. No problem, I say to myself. I'll
just hit update again and see if it gets it up to date. Of course, I hit
the classic "working copy is locked" issue. I remember seeing that in
the FAQ, so I discover the svn cleanup command.

When I type svn cleanup C:\test, I get the following:

C:\>svn cleanup C:\test

svn: Problem running log

svn: in directory 'C:/test/Dest/DocStore/Data Documents/Physicians'

svn: The system cannot find the file specified.

svn: svn_io_copy_file: error copying 'C:/test/Dest/DocStore/Data
Documents/Physicians/.svn/tmp/text-base/713FABD831C4441CB4272DC2E292F990
.xml.svn-base' to 'C:/test/Dest/DocStore/Data
Documents/Physicians/713FABD831C4441CB4272DC2E292F990.xml.2.tmp'

So I decided to do some spelunking, and I find that
.../Physicians/.svn/tmp/text-base is empty. No wonder svn cleanup
couldn't find the file specified. Now I've reached the end of the FAQ,
so I find myself at your mercy.

How can I recover from this?

Steve Dwire

Sr. Technical Architect

Park City Solutions - (iServices)

500 Park Blvd., Suite 295-C

Itasca, IL 60143

(630) 250-3045 x104

Re: WC locked. Can't cleanup: .svn/tmp/text-base is empty

Posted by Philip Martin <ph...@codematters.co.uk>.
"Steve Dwire" <sd...@pcsigroup.com> writes:

> Everything's going swimmingly until the update hits a snag with a io
> error.

You haven't given us this error message, it's important as it's the
one that triggered the problem.  Which version of the Subversion
client are you using?

> One of my directories has >3200 files in it. When I look at my
> working copy, it has fewer than 2200. No problem, I say to myself. I'll
> just hit update again and see if it gets it up to date. Of course, I hit
> the classic "working copy is locked" issue. I remember seeing that in
> the FAQ, so I discover the svn cleanup command.
>
> When I type svn cleanup C:\test, I get the following:
>
> C:\>svn cleanup C:\test
> svn: Problem running log
> svn: in directory 'C:/test/Dest/DocStore/Data Documents/Physicians'

It would be interesting to see the contents of the log file, you
should find it at .../Physicians/.svn/log

> svn: The system cannot find the file specified.
> svn: svn_io_copy_file: error copying 'C:/test/Dest/DocStore/Data
> Documents/Physicians/.svn/tmp/text-base/713FABD831C4441CB4272DC2E292F990
> .xml.svn-base' to 'C:/test/Dest/DocStore/Data
> Documents/Physicians/713FABD831C4441CB4272DC2E292F990.xml.2.tmp'
>
> So I decided to do some spelunking, and I find that
> .../Physicians/.svn/tmp/text-base is empty. No wonder svn cleanup
> couldn't find the file specified. Now I've reached the end of the FAQ,
> so I find myself at your mercy.
>
> How can I recover from this?

The most reliable way to recover is to use ordinary OS operations to
delete (or move) the Physicians directory from the working copy and
then run update.  Please look for the log file *before* deleting
Physicians.

--
Philip Martin