Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by dt...@cogitoinc.com on 2004/10/21 17:16:56 UTC

WinCVS

I have searched for possible answers to my question and not found any.
What I'm wondering is if anyone (or if you know anyone) has started to
modify WinCVS to work with Subversion?  Please don't respond about
TortoiseSVN or other GUI apps.

David W. Thomas
work: dthomas@cogitoinc.com
personal: davidwt@usa.net

Re: WinCVS

Posted by Ben Collins-Sussman <su...@collab.net>.
On Oct 21, 2004, at 12:16 PM, <dt...@cogitoinc.com> wrote:

> I have searched for possible answers to my question and not found
> any.  What I'm wondering is if anyone (or if you know anyone) has
> started to modify WinCVS to work with Subversion?  Please don't
> respond about TortoiseSVN or other GUI apps.

I don't know anyone who has started such a thing.  I shudder at the
thought.

WinCVS has a horrible reputation, and IMO is a horrible GUI.  It's just
a wrapper around the CVS commandline client.  It doesn't make the CVS
commandline client any simpler for GUI users -- it just has dozens of
visual switches for all the commandline client options.  It's ugly and
confusing, and defeats the whole purpose of GUI-ness.

That's why svn has a clean C API -- to *deliberately* prevent people
from having to write another GUI like WinCVS.
</rant>