Posted to users@activemq.apache.org by Kristinn Thor Johannsson <kt...@skalar.no> on 2020/06/18 08:51:03 UTC

Sequentually handling messages within queues

Hi, I've tried to ensure that a consumer on a queue (with message grouping)
will only receive one message at a time from each queue it's handling,
until the consumer acknowledges said message.

For a test I've set up ActiveMQ Artemis and have 3 consumers on a wildcard
EXAMPLE.* , and one publisher posting 10 messages to each of 5 queues:
EXAMPLE.1 - EXAMPLE.5 . What I'm seeing is that each of the consumers
receive messages from the queues immediately. I've tried using the consumer
window size setting (as 0) as I thought that would help me only deliver one
message at a time from each queue, but that doesn't seem to work. Have I
misunderstood that setting? If so, are there any other settings I should be
looking at to help me get this working?

The particular use case I'm trying to achieve is that I'll possibly have
many queues and a couple of consumers. And it's important that messages in
each of the queues are handled sequentially, but all queues can be handled
in parallell

--
-Kristinn Thor

Re: Sequentually handling messages within queues

Posted by Domenico Francesco Bruscino <br...@gmail.com>.
Hi Kristinn,

the only way to set a STOMP consumer windows size on ActiveMQ Artemis is to
set the property `stompConsumerCredits` in the STOMP acceptor, ie ie the
following acceptor will set consumerWindowSize[1] = 1024 bytes for all
STOMP clients connected:

<acceptor
name="stomp-acceptor">tcp://localhost:61613?protocols=STOMP;stompConsumerCredits=1024</acceptor>

Obviously stompConsumerCredits can not be set to 0, because this would
prevent the server from sending messages to the client.
I would move from the STOMPclient to ActiveMQJMSClient as the example at
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/62701025/activemq-artemis-handle-messages-sequentially/62705413#62705413

[1]
https://activemq.apache.org/components/artemis/documentation/latest/flow-control.html

Regards,