Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/30 01:55:04 UTC

[nightly build] WAS Re: [VFS] Snapshot timestamped version has disappeared from the m1 snapshot repo!

On 7/27/06, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry, I have been on the road and pegged this week.  I thought about
> rigging a symlink to the latest dated snap named -SNAPSHOT.  I could
> do this if people would prefer.  I could also modify the script to
> just overwrite the snap each night - but I thought the consensus was
> we wanted dated snaps.
>
> I will add the -SNAPSHOT symlinks this weekend if there are no
> objections or better ideas.  Of course, anyone else is welcome to maked
> the change to the script in svn.
>
> Phil

I have made and tested the change to the nightlies to create / update
a symlink named commons-foo-SNAPSHOT.jar in the m1 repo, pointing to
the most recent nightly.  I have not committed this, since some
components already have similarly named SNAPSHOTs published, not
necessarily pointing to the most recent jars in the repo.  The ones
that I have found are:

commons-codec-SNAPSHOT.jar
commons-compress-SNAPSHOT.jar
commons-email-SNAPSHOT.jar
commons-jelly-SNAPSHOT.jar
commons-primitives-SNAPSHOT.jar
commons-vfs-SNAPSHOT.jar

If people are OK replacing these (nightly) with the latest nightly
snaps, I can go ahead and commit the change to the nightly script, but
I wanted to give people a chance to scream / suggest different names,
etc before I make the change and the script starts overwriting things.

Phil

Re: [nightly build] WAS Re: [VFS] Snapshot timestamped version has disappeared from the m1 snapshot repo!

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
I went ahead and committed the change, after backing up the previous
versions to my home directory, so these can be restored if anyone
needs them.

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 7/29/06, Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7/29/06, Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > The ones that I have found are:
> >
> > commons-codec-SNAPSHOT.jar
> > commons-compress-SNAPSHOT.jar
> > commons-email-SNAPSHOT.jar
> > commons-jelly-SNAPSHOT.jar
> > commons-primitives-SNAPSHOT.jar
> > commons-vfs-SNAPSHOT.jar
> >
> > If people are OK replacing these (nightly) with the latest nightly
> > snaps, I can go ahead and commit the change to the nightly script, but
> > I wanted to give people a chance to scream / suggest different names,
> > etc before I make the change and the script starts overwriting things.
>
> +1, there are no promises that a SNAPSHOT will not be removed or
> changed, so no one has cause to complain if you replace the files.

<snip/>

Agreed, atleast we'll know who is depending on dated snapshots of
Commons libraries and why -- so we can (continue to) discourage such
practices in the future.

-Rahul

Posted by Henri Yandell <fl...@gmail.com>.