Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Robert Kowalski <ro...@kowalski.gd> on 2015/07/15 01:56:24 UTC

Welcome nano to the ASF! :)

Hi!

I am happy to welcome nano as a new subproject of the CouchDB project!

Nano is a minimalistic Node.js client for CouchDB.

The code is located at
https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=couchdb-nano.git;a=summary

The GitHub mirror is available now:
https://github.com/apache/couchdb-nano

Simple Quickstart:

# clone the project from GitHub if you intent to send a PR for a review
git clone https://github.com/apache/couchdb-nano.git

# add the asf repos as "upstream" if you are a committer, if not, becoming a
# committer is easy, get involved!
git remote add upstream https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb-nano.git

# create pull requests as usual

# hint: use this gist for easy reviewing of github PRs
https://gist.github.com/piscisaureus/3342247

# after a merge, push to upstream
git push upstream master

important to know: force pushes on master are disabled.

Happy hacking everyone!

Robert :)

Re: Welcome nano to the ASF! :)

Posted by Andy Wenk <an...@apache.org>.
super cool! Thanks for the donation!!! ;-)

--
Andy Wenk
Hamburg - Germany

Re: Welcome nano to the ASF! :)

Posted by Garren Smith <ga...@apache.org>.

Re: Welcome nano to the ASF! :)

Posted by siva kumaran <si...@gmail.com>.

Re: Welcome nano to the ASF! :)

Posted by Robert Kowalski <ro...@kowalski.gd>.
Hi Johannes,

> What happens with the old repository? Can we just move the GitHub
> Repository? I would love to keep the stargazers, wiki and issues. And
> having a redirect to the new repo also would be great.

I guess that is possible, we have to request that at the Infra team.
Currently there is no way for ASF repos to get GitHub issues and the
wiki but the Infrateam is currently working on that. I will ping them.

> And how do we handle npm releases? Currently Nuno Job, Pedro Teixeira
> and me have write access on npmjs.com. This needs to be changed so we
> maybe can have a CouchDB account? Also, how does the Apache release
> procedure work for npm packages?

That is a really good question and also applies to nmo. Btw: How often
do you release new nano versions?

If I remember right an official ASF release must be a tarball on ASF
servers. npm creates tarballs before it publishes it and I think it
can also create just a tarball at an output location [1]

While an official release must be located on an ASF server as an
tarball and there must be a vote on them, you can additionally host
the release additionally somewhere else (e.g. npm)

Jan told me Hoodie will use the special npm tag next for their latest
releases. The latest official ASF release from nano could then be
nano@latest/nano@major.minor.patch and the latest of the git master
could be nano@next. Every few weeks we then vote and release a new
official ASF release.

Apache Cordova is also releasing their npm packages on a weekly basis,
most of the process is automated through a cli client [2]

I would be interested in helping to automate our releases, probably
together with Bastian who is doing great work for the new CI.

Best,
Robert

[1] https://docs.npmjs.com/cli/pack
[2] https://github.com/apache/cordova-coho/blob/master/docs/plugins-release-process.md

Re: Welcome nano to the ASF! :)

Posted by Johannes Jörg Schmidt <sc...@netzmerk.com>.

This is awesome!

Re: Welcome nano to the ASF! :)

Posted by Jason Smith <ja...@gmail.com>.
Congratulations to the Nano project and to everyone involved!