Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> on 2003/06/03 21:44:43 UTC

latex status

Hi folks,

I agreed a few weeks ago to look at xml->latex xslt.

I did a first run at this within a few days, but ran into some moderately
hard problems.  For example:

- Latex is very sensitive about whitespace in some places where xml/html
is not.

- Latex tables are not auto-sizing.  (To be specific, tables in latex
are auto-sizing only if you don't need paragraph wrapping.)

- A bunch of characters need to be escaped (usually with a backslash) in
latex.  This type of search->replace is not xslt's forte.  I have a
workable system, but it is ugly.

The last problem is basically solved; the middle problem might be solved
by including some table-sizing hints in the xml; the first problem may
involve using some tex primitives (latex is written in tex) to eat
whitespace in appropriate places.

Anyway, the other problem is that my time to work on this is very
limited.  I can continue to hammer away when I get a minute, but if I am
holding up someone else who wants to work on this, I'd be happy to hand
over what I have, or to commit it to some scratch space someplace.

Joshua.

Re: latex status

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Astrid Keßler wrote:
> At the moment I'm still fighting with LaTeX to generate the same pdf
> file you did. I'm getting countless warnings and some strange effects
> like page headers overwritten by the first text line. Could it be, that
> I miss something from the cvs or have an old status?

Can you give some examples of the error messages you are getting from
LaTeX?  The warnings are normal (overfull \hbox means that TeX can't
figure out how to fit the text into a line cleanly).

I just realized that perhaps fullpage.sty is not part of most standard
distributions.  If you are getting an error about missing this file, put
this before the \begin{document} in sitemap.tex and remove the
\usepackage{fullpage}:

\topmargin 0pt
\advance \topmargin by -\headheight
\advance \topmargin by -\headsep

\textheight 8.9in

\oddsidemargin 0pt
\evensidemargin \oddsidemargin
\marginparwidth 0.5in

\textwidth 6.5in

I'll commit that to latex.xsl when I get the chance.

In any case, I'm very willing to help others to get started with this,
off-list if necessary.

> > By the way, anyone else noticed how 90% of the complications in
> > transforming the docs are in stuff written by RSE ;-)
>
> If you ask directly - errr... no, I didn't. I'm rarely looking at the
> markup of an xml file, until I have to work with it. And those documents
> are still in my pipeline. :-)
> There are lots of markup issues at the docs. No problem, by the time
> we'll fix them all, document by document.

Yes, and I don't want to imply that RSE's documents are wrong.  They just
tend to be very complicated, with huge tables, graphics, etc.

> Hm, and what will LaTeX do with tables or examples longer than one page?

Typographically speaking, that is a big no-no.  Offset items like these
should not span pages.  When I run into this problem with my own
documents, I manually split the table into two (if necessary calling it
"Table 1 Panel A", "Table 1 Panel B" or whatever).  There are third-party
latex packages like supertab and longtable that will handle multi-page
tables.  For examples, we would need to role our own.

> > I see a few possible solutions:
>
> > 1. Ignore it.
>
> > 2. It may be possible to use some kind of environment for <example> that
> > will permit LaTeX to break it between two pages.  But I'm not very
> > optimistic about that.
>
> > 3. Do our best to shorten or break-up the examples in the xml source.
>
> Solution 3 is not really one. Shortening examples may make them less
> usefull. And breaking them could lead into other problems. So we should
> ignore it until we find a way to tell LaTeX to break it.

I woudn't suggest breaking-up tables/examples just so LaTeX can deal with
them.  But the presence of very-long tables/examples is probably a
liability for the reader in any case.  A table/example that is more
than one screen in html is probably just as bad as one that is more than
one page in LaTeX.

Joshua.

Re: latex status

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> - LaTeX is not a very flexible system in terms of fine-tuning the
> presentation.  It generally creates very nice looking output, but it is
> not very amenable to saying things like "I'd like it more if this was just
> a little bit more to the left".  That is not to say that fine-tuning is
> not possible, it just tends to require fairly intimate knowledge of
> TeX/LaTeX -- something that I don't have.

hm, ok.

At the moment I'm still fighting with LaTeX to generate the same pdf
file you did. I'm getting countless warnings and some strange effects
like page headers overwritten by the first text line. Could it be, that
I miss something from the cvs or have an old status?

> Easy enough.  I've always hated how the "Related Module/Directives" boxes
> looked (both in html and LaTeX), but I haven't come up with anything
> better.

> As far as examples, one possibility is removing the box and giving them a
> grey background instead.  Any opinions on that?

Hm, no opinion until I've created/seen an example.

> By the way, anyone else noticed how 90% of the complications in
> transforming the docs are in stuff written by RSE ;-)

If you ask directly - errr... no, I didn't. I'm rarely looking at the
markup of an xml file, until I have to work with it. And those documents
are still in my pipeline. :-)
There are lots of markup issues at the docs. No problem, by the time
we'll fix them all, document by document.

> My latest version also substitutes an exclamation mark with a box around
> it when the <note> is a warning.

A good idea.

>> - some vertical spaces are very big at "virtual host examples" (e.g.
>>   page 151)

> This is caused by very large examples or tables.  LaTeX will not break a
> table (or example) between pages, so it forces the table to the next page
> and spreads out the text on the previous page to fill it up.

Hm, and what will LaTeX do with tables or examples longer than one page?

> I see a few possible solutions:

> 1. Ignore it.

> 2. It may be possible to use some kind of environment for <example> that
> will permit LaTeX to break it between two pages.  But I'm not very
> optimistic about that.

> 3. Do our best to shorten or break-up the examples in the xml source.

Solution 3 is not really one. Shortening examples may make them less
usefull. And breaking them could lead into other problems. So we should
ignore it until we find a way to tell LaTeX to break it.

> But my opinion that it is almost ready to go public (as in the
> dist/httpd/docs/ directory), perhaps with a note on the front noting its
> provisional status.

Yes, this sounds fine.

Well, thank you for your hints. They are a good start for me.
Kess

Re: latex status

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Sun, 15 Jun 2003, Astrid Keßler wrote:
> well, after a quick view some here are some thoughts:

Thanks very much for the comments.

A quick comment of my own:

- LaTeX is not a very flexible system in terms of fine-tuning the
presentation.  It generally creates very nice looking output, but it is
not very amenable to saying things like "I'd like it more if this was just
a little bit more to the left".  That is not to say that fine-tuning is
not possible, it just tends to require fairly intimate knowledge of
TeX/LaTeX -- something that I don't have.

> - I'm not sure about the red color for links. Maybe blue or green would
>   be less obtrusive but also eye-catching.

That's relatively easy; there are hyperref options for the link colors.

> - example boxes are centered, Related Modules/Directives boxes are not.
>   It looks a little bit strange when they occur nearby by each other.
>   Hm, what about streching the related boxes over the whole page?

Easy enough.  I've always hated how the "Related Module/Directives" boxes
looked (both in html and LaTeX), but I haven't come up with anything
better.

As far as examples, one possibility is removing the box and giving them a
grey background instead.  Any opinions on that?

> - Chapter 'Apache Performance Tuning' contains an apppendix, which is
>   well placed there at a single webpage but looks strange in the middle
>   of a big document. I have no sugestion at the moment but want to note
>   it for later reconsidering.

I prefer having it there rather than shoving it to the end of the book.

> - the example boxes at URL Rewriting Guide have no border. It this
>   intended to be?

Hmmm... I'm not at the right computer to check, but I suspect this has to
do with the use of <pre>, which gets translated into a latex "verbatim".
As I've mentioned in other contexts, this is a dangerous environment for a
lot of reasons.

By the way, anyone else noticed how 90% of the complications in
transforming the docs are in stuff written by RSE ;-)

> - I don't like the arrows in front of the notes boxes. The idea is fine
>   but I would prefer another arrow symbol.

The easily available symbols are listed here:
http://www.fi.uib.no/Fysisk/Teori/KURS/WRK/TeX/symALL.html

Of course, it's possible to include an arbitrary symbol using graphics
commands.

My latest version also substitutes an exclamation mark with a box around
it when the <note> is a warning.

> - Would it be possible to have an additional page break only between
>   chapters, not beetween subchapters (i.e. after each xml-document)?

Good question.  It is certainly possible, since that is the default if you
change "book" to "article" in the \documentclass at the top.  But I don't
know how to do that for the book class.

> - some vertical spaces are very big at "virtual host examples" (e.g.
>   page 151)

This is caused by very large examples or tables.  LaTeX will not break a
table (or example) between pages, so it forces the table to the next page
and spreads out the text on the previous page to fill it up.

I see a few possible solutions:

1. Ignore it.

2. It may be possible to use some kind of environment for <example> that
will permit LaTeX to break it between two pages.  But I'm not very
optimistic about that.

3. Do our best to shorten or break-up the examples in the xml source.

> Bah, there are lots of small things to do, as you said. I will stop my
> list for the moment. But the document as whole: yeah, I like it. I
> wouldn't publish it with big words at the moment, but if someone asks
> for it, I would hand out this version.

Yep.  As I've said above, take a look at everything that RSE wrote:
mod_ssl docs, mod_rewrite docs, etc, and you'll find lots of unfortunate
things.

But my opinion that it is almost ready to go public (as in the
dist/httpd/docs/ directory), perhaps with a note on the front noting its
provisional status.

> You won't be the only one. Just after I said I want to help you, one of
> our server machines ran into trouble. Additionally some other problems
> like hunting ants that are trying to take over my home, which is funny
> for everyone except myself, kept me from working on tex. But I'm
> confident to start soon (in a week or two *sigh*)

No problem.  We've been having fun with ants here in in Montreal as well.

Joshua.

Re: latex status

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
Hi Joshua,

> A new version of the pdf docs is now online at
> http://www.apache.org/~slive/manual/

> This one seems quite presentable to me.  There are still lots of little
> things to do, of course.  But I'm almost ready to call it an initial
> release.  Feedback is very welcome, and additions to the TODO list would
> be appreciated.  Of course, subtractions from the TODO list would be even
> more appreciated.

well, after a quick view some here are some thoughts:

- I'm not sure about the red color for links. Maybe blue or green would
  be less obtrusive but also eye-catching.
- example boxes are centered, Related Modules/Directives boxes are not.
  It looks a little bit strange when they occur nearby by each other.
  Hm, what about streching the related boxes over the whole page?
- Chapter 'Apache Performance Tuning' contains an apppendix, which is
  well placed there at a single webpage but looks strange in the middle
  of a big document. I have no sugestion at the moment but want to note
  it for later reconsidering.
- the example boxes at URL Rewriting Guide have no border. It this
  intended to be?
- I don't like the arrows in front of the notes boxes. The idea is fine
  but I would prefer another arrow symbol.
- Would it be possible to have an additional page break only between
  chapters, not beetween subchapters (i.e. after each xml-document)?
- some vertical spaces are very big at "virtual host examples" (e.g.
  page 151)

Bah, there are lots of small things to do, as you said. I will stop my
list for the moment. But the document as whole: yeah, I like it. I
wouldn't publish it with big words at the moment, but if someone asks
for it, I would hand out this version.

> - I very much hope that some people are going to give this a try.  I don't
> want to be the only person who knows how to deal with this stuff.

You won't be the only one. Just after I said I want to help you, one of
our server machines ran into trouble. Additionally some other problems
like hunting ants that are trying to take over my home, which is funny
for everyone except myself, kept me from working on tex. But I'm
confident to start soon (in a week or two *sigh*)

> - There is now some stuff I'd like to commit that goes outside the latex
> directory.  This includes
> * <columnspec> entries for some tables.  (If you look at the pdf file,
> you'll note I haven't done them all; but I have done some.)
> * Move the indexes to the end of the sitemap; people tend to look for
> indexes at the end of a book.
> * Some minor markup changes here and there.  For example, there are some
> <directivesynopsis> that <br/>s in places where they really don't belong.
> I could go through some hoops in LaTeX to get this to work, but it would
> be better to just fix the markup.

+1 to all three (eh ... at the last point: to fix markup)

 Kess

Re: latex status

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Patrik Grip-Jansson wrote:

> I'm interesting in having a go at this. I wouldn't go as far as to call myself
> a latexguru, but I've produced lots and lots of documents with it. Perhaps we
> could work with it together?

Of course, you're welcome!

nd
--
Das, was ich nicht kenne, spielt stückzahlmäßig *keine* Rolle.

                                   -- Helmut Schellong in dclc

Re: latex status

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Yoshiki Hayashi wrote:
> You are probably aware of these errors but I've got errors
> from mod/mod_ssl.tex, developer/API.tex and
> mod/quickreference.tex.

quickreference hasen't been handled at all yet, so those errors are
expected.  The other two I haven't looked at in detail either.

> I'll look latex build more closely
> later but I might not be of much help as I'm not very good
> at TeX.  I've been using LaTeX for quite some time but I
> only use simple directives. ;-)

I'm about the same.  Most of what I know comes out of Lamport's users's
guide.  I don't even own the "LaTeX Companion" which is considered the
bible.

Joshua.

Re: latex status

Posted by Yoshiki Hayashi <yo...@xemacs.org>.
Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> writes:

> Yep, it's in the TODO list to figure out how to fix that.  The problem is
> with the hyperref package.  The docs say that no escaping is required for
> "#", but, as you note, I can't currently get it to work with or without
> escaping.

Your recent changes eliminated those errors.  Thanks.

> In the end, to get a working version, you need to hit "q" (for "quiet") at
> the errors and just let LaTeX happily ignore them.  I'm working towards
> zero errors, but it might be a while before I get there.

You are probably aware of these errors but I've got errors
from mod/mod_ssl.tex, developer/API.tex and
mod/quickreference.tex.  I'll look latex build more closely

Re: latex status

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Re: latex status

Posted by Yoshiki Hayashi <yo...@xemacs.org>.
Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca> writes:

> - I very much hope that some people are going to give this a try.  I don't
> want to be the only person who knows how to deal with this stuff.  It
> would be helpful if some people would at least go through the build steps
> so that I know if there is anything in my local setup that I haven't taken
> into account.

I tried it and it failed in the middle of
misc/security_tips.tex file.

What I did was:

cd httpd-2.1/docs
cvs up
cd manual/build
cvs up
./build.sh latex
cd ..
pdflatex sitemap.tex

The error is:

[46] (./misc/security_tips.tex
! Illegal parameter number in definition of \Hy@tempa.
<to be read again>
l.16 ...tpd.apache.org/lists.html\#http-announce}}
                                                   where you can keep inform...

I manually escaped first occurence of # character and ran
pdflatex again.  It says:

[196]
! Illegal parameter number in definition of \Hy@tempa.
<to be read again>
l.81 ....apache.org/docs/misc/FAQ.html\#year2000}}
                                                   from the Apache Group, th...

So it looks like my pdflatex doesn't like '#' in \href.

Running pdflatex --version says:

pdfTeX (Web2C 7.4.5) 3.14159-1.10b
kpathsea version 3.4.5

Let me know if you need more information about my environment.

--
Yoshiki Hayashi

Re: latex status

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
A new version of the pdf docs is now online at
http://www.apache.org/~slive/manual/

This one seems quite presentable to me.  There are still lots of little
things to do, of course.  But I'm almost ready to call it an initial
release.  Feedback is very welcome, and additions to the TODO list would
be appreciated.  Of course, subtractions from the TODO list would be even
more appreciated.

Some notes:

- It's now over 3MB.  I really have no idea why it grew so much (around
25%) given that I added almost no text.

[...]

If anyone has objections to this, please speak now.

Joshua.

Re: latex status

Posted by Astrid Keßler <ke...@kess-net.de>.
> Well, anyway, perhaps I was a little too pessimistic in my last messages.
> A couple more hours work has gotten me to something I consider relatively
> near being presentable (at least as a first draft).

> Here is a quick look:
> http://www.apache.org/~slive/manual.pdf
> Note that this is around 2.5 MB and 738 pages, so think twice before you
> click.

Joshua, this looks really good! Ok, there is still a lot of work to do,
but your draft shows what can be. I'll do my best to understand your
work and help finishing it. (... starting tomorrow. For today one fight
with homesearching ants is really enough for me. *grrr* Who told them I
would invite them to join my home?)

> -------------- TODO ----------------------------------------------

> Some things that need to be done with the LaTeX transforms:

Some things may be adapted from nd's research with fop (e.g. collecting
external links for footnotes). nd, would you mind to place your build
process somewhere to allow anyone to adopt from you?

> - Reduce the size of the pdf (both bytes and pages) in any way possible.

The pkzipped pdf file has a size of 1.8 MB. PDF files created with
Acrobat can't usually be compressed to smaller size, so there should be
some possibility to reduce the file size. Reducing the number of pages
won't be very easy. It's a lot of stuff. Imho it is not very important
to save 10 or 20 pages.

 Kess

Re: latex status

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Wed, 4 Jun 2003, André Malo wrote:
> > - Reduce the size of the pdf (both bytes and pages) in any way possible.
>
> some bytes can be saved, at least for latin1 documents if we'd use the PDF
> base 14 fonts (times, courier, helvetica, and the symbols things).

This can be accomplished simply by putting
\usepackage{times}
near the top of the latex file.

It shaves off around 400k in a quick test, and looks pretty good (although
it doesn't have a very nice small-caps font, which I am using to mark the
directive and module names).

As Astrid points out, the bad compression is a little strange.  But it
does not seem to be unique to pdflatex.  The old pdf files that I
generated with acrobat web-capture are over 3MB uncompressed and 1.4MB
compressed.  I have no idea why the pdf compression is so lousy.

But anyway, this certainly shouldn't be a priority compared to all the
other things wrong with the file ;-)

Joshua.

Re: latex status

Posted by André Malo <nd...@perlig.de>.
* Joshua Slive wrote:

> Well, anyway, perhaps I was a little too pessimistic in my last messages.
> A couple more hours work has gotten me to something I consider relatively
> near being presentable (at least as a first draft).
>
> Here is a quick look:
> http://www.apache.org/~slive/manual.pdf
> Note that this is around 2.5 MB and 738 pages, so think twice before you
> click.

That is a very cool start! Looks already better than my previous trials with
fop ;-)

Some random notes:

> - Fix tables
>
>   Perhaps we need to add some xml hints about the size of different
>   columns in the source files.  For example:

In my fop trials I had extra files that contained table layout hints. But
this is probably easier.

> - Images
>
>   A quick search makes me believe that pdftex will not handle gifs.
>   It probably will handle png.

Here are plans to recreate our graphics in SVG format and using batik's
rasterizer (http://xml.apache.org/batik/svgrasterizer.html) to create
whatever we want (png, jpeg, tiff, pdf?).

> - Fix quotes
>
>   In LaTeX, quotes should be like ``This''.  This may
>   not be feasible for us, in which case we could simply replace
>   " with \texttt{"} or something, so that the quotes are all straight.

We *may* consider to use unicode characters like &#8222; and &#8220; in our
xml sources and transform them properly to " and " for HTML (backwards
compat with older browsers) and `` and '' for latex and the man pages.

This would be a lot of work - once we have the time ... ;-)

> - Reduce the size of the pdf (both bytes and pages) in any way possible.

some bytes can be saved, at least for latin1 documents if we'd use the PDF
base 14 fonts (times, courier, helvetica, and the symbols things).

nd
--
sub the($){+shift} sub answer (){ord q
        [* It is always 42! *]       }

Re: latex status

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Well, anyway, perhaps I was a little too pessimistic in my last messages.
A couple more hours work has gotten me to something I consider relatively
near being presentable (at least as a first draft).

Here is a quick look:
http://www.apache.org/~slive/manual.pdf
Note that this is around 2.5 MB and 738 pages, so think twice before you
click.

I'm going to attach my TODO list below, and I'll also commit it to the
style/latex/ directory with the rest of the stuff.  It is sorted roughly
in order of priority.  I encourage anyone who wants to play to have a go
at it, and please feel free to fire any questions about either my horrible
xsl or latex in general to me (via the list) and I'll try to help out.
I'm not a latex guru, but I have a good basic knowledge.

If you have a fairly complete TeX installation, you should be
able to generate the manual.pdf above using
cd manual/build
build latex
cd ..
pdflatex sitemap (when it hits an error, press q[enter] to shut it up)
pdflatex sitemap

The whole process takes about 10 minutes on my computer.

-------------- TODO ----------------------------------------------

Some things that need to be done with the LaTeX transforms:

- Finish special pages:
  * module index
  * directive index
  * quick reference
  * faq

- Fix tables

  Perhaps we need to add some xml hints about the size of different
  columns in the source files.  For example:

- href

  External hrefs should be transformed to \footnote{}s, but it's not
  working at the moment.  It is easy enough just to <value-of> the @href,
  but this won't work because the result needs to be run through the
  escaping routines or LaTeX will barf.

- Images

  A quick search makes me believe that pdftex will not handle gifs.
  It probably will handle png.

- Fix quotes

  In LaTeX, quotes should be like ``This''.  This may
  not be feasible for us, in which case we could simply replace
  " with \texttt{"} or something, so that the quotes are all straight.

- Add hyperlinks for directives and modules (for online use only,
  not page number references).

- Reduce the size of the pdf (both bytes and pages) in any way possible.

- Hundreds of other little problems with presentation, cross-referencing,
  etc.

- Fix build system

- Cleanup xsl to make it more readable.

Re: latex status

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 3 Jun 2003, Astrid Keßler wrote:

> > Anyway, the other problem is that my time to work on this is very
> > limited.  I can continue to hammer away when I get a minute, but if I am
> > holding up someone else who wants to work on this, I'd be happy to hand
> > over what I have, or to commit it to some scratch space someplace.
>
> I'm very interested in getting a pdf-version of the docs. So I run for
> enhancing this if no one with more experience wants to take over
> (because I've never used Latex before and will have to start from zero).

Great.  Although many of the problems left are latex things that may
require consultation with a latex guru.

One question for the group: should I commit this to httpd-2.1, or should I
find some other scratch space for it?  It is at a very preliminary state
now, but most of the stuff can be contained to the manual/style/latex/
directory (with a few small changes elsewhere).

Joshua.

Re: latex status

Posted by Patrik Grip-Jansson <pa...@gnulix.org>.

Re: latex status