Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Mark Clements <nn...@kennel17.co.uk> on 2006/08/21 15:23:40 UTC

Single/Multiple repos - pros and cons

I have done a fairly extensive search of the list and the web, but have
still not found a definitive answer to this question (though there is
clearly a lot of conflicting opinion).  The question is a very common one:
"Should I use a single repository for all my projects, or a separate
repository per project?".  The answer, it appears is "It depends.".

So, maybe looking at a different way round, what are the pros and cons of
each approach?  Here is what I have gleaned so far (pros only - cons are
asuumed to be 'unable to do the pros of the other one').

Single Repository - Pros:
* Can easily move files between projects, retaining history.
* Only one set of hooks/config files/permissions to deal with
* Can share code resources easily (though externals allow this between
multiple repositories)

Multiple Repositories - Pros:
* Smaller and easier to backup
* Can archive an old project
* Logically separates individual projects.
* Simplifies permission assignation on a per-project basis.
* Revision number is tied to the project (although I think this is probably
a bogus argument)
* Less damage done if a repository becomes corrupted

Can you add to this list?

As an aside, the SVN book appears to imply that a single repository is the
recommended approach, as all the examples use this layout.  However the
following sentence caught my eye: "A common change is the decision to move
multiple projects which are sharing a single repository into separate
repositories for each project.", which implies that this approach often
turns out to be wrong...  not quite sure what to make of that!

- Mark Clements

Re: Anonymous access will not go away!

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Aug 22, 2006, at 01:18, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> Are you SURE that anonymous access is getting in? Subversion caches
> your credentials, you know, the first time you supply them. Could
> it be that the username "justin" and the password are cached in
> ~/.subversion/auth/svn.simple which is why you can get access when
> you do not explicitly supply a username and password? Try deleting
> the cached info from that directory and see if you then still have
> access. I suspect you do not, meaning the server is correctly set up.

An additional thought: you should be able to follow the Apache access
log and see what username it thinks you're connecting with.

Re: Anonymous access will not go away!

Posted by Steve Martin <sm...@gmail.com>.
I had this same problem as well.

I was running httpd (apache2), with svn 1.3.1 on RHEL 4 using httpd auth,
and after awhile, it stopped prompting for username + password.

Although, I'm not certain what Ryan said is right... it might cache certain
info, but even with httpd basic auth, it still wasn't prompting for auth
info after a reboot AND using a different user account.

What I would recommend checking (which I didn't get a chance to before the
contract was up) is that to make sure you don't have the apache + svn auth
info in 2 different locations.

IE: (this example is on RHEL 4... may be different on your OS) if you have
the apache directives set in /etc/httpd/httpd.conf, DO NOT have it set also
in /etc/httpd/conf.d/whateverconf.conf).

That was the only thing I could think of in MY situation.

My best suggestion would be to:

cp httpd.conf httpd.conf.bak

remove everything env related from the "old" httpd.conf

Readd the svn directives, run apachectl restart (or /etc/init.d/httpd
restart)

and see if you still have the same problem.

However, I was managing things for a small dev lab, so I didn't need the svn
authz stuff. I just used basic httpd authentication.... I had one couple GB
repo, with a limitied # of people using it.

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.

Posted by Justin <ju...@hush.cc>.
Hi everyone,

[...]

Thanks in advance,

*justin

Re: Single/Multiple repos - pros and cons

Posted by Mark Clements <nn...@kennel17.co.uk>.
"Robert Wenner" <ro...@atsec.com> wrote in message
> On Monday 21 August 2006 10:23, Mark Clements wrote:
> > Single Repository - Pros:
>
> > * Only one set of hooks/config files/permissions to deal with
>
> We keep the hooks code in a separate repository and check it out on the
> server, and then have symlinks to that working copy from the actual
> project repositories.
>
> > Multiple Repositories - Pros:
>
> > * Revision number is tied to the project (although I think this is
> > probably a bogus argument)
>
> Why bogus?
> I find that important since it is irritating to me that a version number
> goes up even if nobody touched that project.
>
> Just my 2 cents,
>
> Robert

I say bogus, because as soon as you have several branches in your repository
then you have the same problem, e.g. the head revision no. changes even
though no code in the trunk has actually changed.

- Mark Clements

Re: Single/Multiple repos - pros and cons

Posted by Robert Wenner <ro...@atsec.com>.