Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Kwirirai <kw...@designat7.co.zw> on 2003/01/13 08:12:26 UTC

DNS Lookups taking too long

Hi Guys
I have recently tested out the time it takes to do DNS lookups for James
2.1 release ,
what I have released it seems to be taking too long for MX record
lookups to be done.
On average estimate,  it takes about  two minutes to do the lookups .
Is there a way that these lookups can be tuned so that the lookups can
take a much shorter time,
or does this depend on the network one is using to the lookups ,
or there is some configuration that needs to be done to make it go fast.
 I have used nslookup from windows 2000 to lookup records on the same
machine running James and also querying  the same Name Server
and it is fast on giving back the records (just a few seconds).

thanks
Kwirirai Nhakwi

Re: DNS Lookups taking too long

Posted by Serge Sozonoff <se...@globalbeach.com>.
Hi Aaron,

Small correction.
Actually , James caches DNS lookups as well :-)

Serge

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: DNS Lookups taking too long

Posted by Aaron Knauf <ak...@xtra.co.nz>.

Posted by Kwirirai <kw...@designat7.co.zw>.
Thanks Serge your are dead right!

I cannot believe it! I was really making the mistake of adding the IP of
the machine as one of the DNS Servers ,that's why it was taking too
long, as to why I did this I a have no idea, this is one big mistake I
had all the time and failed to notice it .
Its working fine , instantly doing lookups.

Kwirirai Nhakwi

Posted by Serge Knystautas <se...@lokitech.com>.

--
Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies

RE: DNS Lookups taking too long

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
> Is it because I am using J2sdk1.4.1 on windows 2000 ,
> because if doing lookups manually using nslookup (windows 2000) is that
> fast, I don't think it is the network.

It isn't that.

> Could you tell me what Platform you are using eg. Operating system, and
> JVM version may it could help.

Linux redhat7.2, sun j2sdk1.4.1
windows2000 pro, sun j2sdk1.4.1

Both systems run James OK, its not that.

d.

RE: DNS Lookups taking too long

Posted by Kwirirai <kw...@designat7.co.zw>.
Hi
This is a simple test I did , I just had to stick in start time and end
time in  Remote Delivery Mailet between the code that does the lookup.
Its just a simple test but its really showing me what I am failing to
understand. I actually noticed this when I sent mailing list with about
300 emails and it took about one and half days to clear up the mail in
the spool.
Is it because I am using J2sdk1.4.1 on windows 2000 ,
because if doing lookups manually using nslookup (windows 2000) is that
fast, I don't think it is the network.
Could you tell me what Platform you are using eg. Operating system, and
JVM version may it could help.

Here is the code in RemoteDelivery Mailet
private boolean deliver(MailImpl mail, Session session) {
                //Lookup the possible targets
                startTime=System.currentTimeMillis();
                targetServers = getMailetContext().getMailServers(host);
                endTime=System.currentTimeMillis();
                System.out.println("Time Taken to look up
hostname:"+host+"is=" + (endTime-startTime)/1000);

}
it just prints out the time taken to execute that piece of code ,it's a
clumsy way to find out ,or maybe it's the  wrong way !

Thanks
kwiri
> I have recently tested out the time it takes to do DNS lookups for
James
> 2.1 release ,
> what I have released it seems to be taking too long for MX record
> lookups to be done.
> On average estimate,  it takes about  two minutes to do the lookups .
> Is there a way that these lookups can be tuned so that the lookups can
> take a much shorter time,
> or does this depend on the network one is using to the lookups ,
> or there is some configuration that needs to be done to make it go
fast.
>  I have used nslookup from windows 2000 to lookup records on the same
> machine running James and also querying  the same Name Server
> and it is fast on giving back the records (just a few seconds).

Can I ask how you were doing the tests?  I've never seen James take that

long for lookups, so I have to think it's a problem with your network or

DNS servers.

--
Serge Knystautas
Loki Technologies