Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Roshan Dawrani <ro...@gmail.com> on 2011/04/21 16:28:24 UTC

How to change the seed node used to discover other nodes in the ring?

Hi,

In our Cassandra/Hector environment, we are trying to turn the
auto-discovery of nodes in the ring on. We have created the DB using the
following default in cassandra.yaml
# Addresses of hosts that are deemed contact points.
# Cassandra nodes use this list of hosts to find each other and learn
# the topology of the ring.  You must change this if you are running
# multiple nodes!
seeds:
    - 127.0.0.1

We don't want 127.0.0.1 to be used as the seed node. Our single node is
setup elsewhere right now.

Changing it in cassandra.yaml is not taking any immediate effect?

Even after changing it in cassandra.yaml, describe cluster continues to show
" b2844cbc-5c62-11e0-9166-e700f669bcfc: [127.0.0.1]"

Does this configuration get stored in some system table? How can I change it
now? Through JMX? Some specific command?

--
Roshan
Blog: http://roshandawrani.wordpress.com/

Re: How to change the seed node used to discover other nodes in the ring?

Posted by Roshan Dawrani <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 21, 2011 at 9:30 PM, Nate McCall <na...@datastax.com> wrote:

> It will work as long as thrift and gossip are bound to the same
> interface. The discovery server in Hector also uses the
> CassandraHostConfigurator#getPort for the port in constructing the
> host URL.

Can you please elaborate a little in terms of cassandra.yaml settings so I
can check whether thrift and gossip are bound to the same interface in my
case or not?

Here are what I think are the relevant settings:
rpc_address: 0.0.0.0

rpc_port: 9160

# Addresses of hosts that are deemed contact points.
# Cassandra nodes use this list of hosts to find each other and learn
# the topology of the ring.  You must change this if you are running
# multiple nodes!
seeds:
    - <name of the host our single DB node runs right now>

Re: How to change the seed node used to discover other nodes in the ring?

Posted by Nate McCall <na...@datastax.com>.
It will work as long as thrift and gossip are bound to the same
interface. The discovery server in Hector also uses the
CassandraHostConfigurator#getPort for the port in constructing the
host URL.

Posted by Roshan Dawrani <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nate McCall <na...@datastax.com>.
Roshan,