Posted to dev@systemml.apache.org by Arvind Surve <ac...@yahoo.com.INVALID> on 2017/09/20 16:50:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] R-Interface to SystemML

Hi,
R4ML is an open source project which provides a R interface to SystemML.Its a bridge between SystemML and Spark-R.
Lets discuss here if and how we can get two code streams work together to benefit development/community effort.

Arvind Surve | Spark Technology Center  | http://www.spark.tc/

Re: [DISCUSS] R-Interface to SystemML

Posted by Deron Eriksson <de...@gmail.com>.
I agree with Niketan. An R interface definitely makes sense for SystemML.
DML itself is based on R, so it's surprising we have Java/Scala/Python
interfaces to SystemML but we don't have an R interface.

Perhaps R4ML committers could supply a little more info? For instance:
1) Would they like to merge R4ML code into the main SystemML project
itself? (Currently we have no modules.)
2) What would they like to merge?
3) If so, how do they propose to do so?
4) Who will do the majority of the work to add R4ML code to SystemML? Or
who would like to volunteer to do this?
5) Who will maintain the contributed code? Or who would like to volunteer
to do this?
6) Documentation is needed (fit in SystemML documentation framework).
7) Testing is needed (fit into SystemML testing framework).
8) How is this packaged?

From a technology standpoint, I think an R interface totally makes sense.
As for a minor criticism (which I apply to other parts of SystemML too), I
see script wrappers at https://github.com/SparkTC/r4ml/tree/master/R4ML/R.
This tightly binds the existing DML scripts to R, which means DML
input/output modifications could potentially require modifications to R
code.

Deron

Posted by Niketan Pansare <np...@us.ibm.com>.

)

From:	Janardhan <j1...@protonmail.com>
To:	Arvind Surve <ac...@yahoo.com.INVALID>,
            "dev@systemml.apache.org" <de...@systemml.apache.org>
Date:	09/21/2017 04:44 AM
Subject:	Re: [DISCUSS] R-Interface to SystemML

Hi Arvind,

This is a great idea. One question: the R4ML generates any plan like the
SystemML with `DML` Or with providing some interface we leverage this
feature ?. Community effort in the sense of collaborative algorithm
implementation.(?)

Is this the Spark-R repo (
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_rstudio_sparklyr&d=DwIGaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=HzVC6v79boGYQrpc383_Kao_6a6SaOkZrfiSrYZVby0&m=uxG7P-4VuICwg6yatnAEX5JBdZ-PSwyvQzq5gwX1GL0&s=6VRs_J7zXj9jZEavEP8iNvVfISAjDJeM8wFL2sBnb0g&e=
  ) ?

Thanks,
Janardhan

Sent with [ProtonMail](
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__protonmail.com&d=DwIGaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=HzVC6v79boGYQrpc383_Kao_6a6SaOkZrfiSrYZVby0&m=uxG7P-4VuICwg6yatnAEX5JBdZ-PSwyvQzq5gwX1GL0&s=khkGV3oXz1W5m_ueQRuKWlNMVOXXCVhV_ytNCINjJWY&e=
 ) Secure Email.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.spark.tc_&d=DwIGaQ&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=HzVC6v79boGYQrpc383_Kao_6a6SaOkZrfiSrYZVby0&m=uxG7P-4VuICwg6yatnAEX5JBdZ-PSwyvQzq5gwX1GL0&s=Yj8qfo7sjGBxX547UMGfLHRZFUxCAjZDTHWe8B7jLxI&e=

Re: [DISCUSS] R-Interface to SystemML

Posted by Janardhan <j1...@protonmail.com>.
Hi Arvind,

This is a great idea. One question: the R4ML generates any plan like the SystemML with `DML` Or with providing some interface we leverage this feature ?. Community effort in the sense of collaborative algorithm implementation.(?)

Is this the Spark-R repo ( https://github.com/rstudio/sparklyr ) ?

Thanks,
Janardhan