Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Dave Oxley <to...@hotmail.com> on 2001/09/26 23:59:55 UTC

Tomcat next

Hi all,

A couple of questions on future Tomcat releases:

1. Will there be a TC3.4 release or is 3.x obsolete after 3.3?
2. Has TC4.0 been branched (i.e. has development started on TC4.1 or are you
waiting for TC4.0.1 to branch?)
3. Is there a list of planned features for TC4.1?

Dave
Dave@JungleMoss.com

Re: Tomcat next

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@fujitsu-siemens.com>.
Remy Maucherat wrote:

> > On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Dave Oxley wrote:
> >
> > > Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:59:55 +0100
> > > From: Dave Oxley <to...@hotmail.com>
> > > To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> > > Subject: Tomcat next
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > A couple of questions on future Tomcat releases:
> > >
> > > 1. Will there be a TC3.4 release or is 3.x obsolete after 3.3?
> >
> > I don't know on this one.
> >
> > > 2. Has TC4.0 been branched (i.e. has development started on TC4.1 or are
> you
> > > waiting for TC4.0.1 to branch?)
> >
> > Yes, it has been branched ("tomcat_40_branch" is for 4.0.x).  The HEAD
> > branch can be used for new development and features.
> >
> > > 3. Is there a list of planned features for TC4.1?
> > >

> > Hmm, the todo list doc looks like it got lost in the shuffle ...
> >
> > Two big areas I'd like to see focus on (and where I and some of my
> > colleagues will definitely be spending some time) are:
> >
> > * Major improvements to the JSP page compiler to improve the
> >   quality and performance of the code it generates, and to make
> >   the compiler itself more maintainable.  A high level requirements
> >   doc for my view of what this should include will be circulated soon.
> >
> > * Implementing a nice administration/configuration interface (as a
> >   web app), talking to server components through a JMX interface
> >   (so that Tomcat can be managed by any JMX compliant tool).  Some
> >   time ago I published some functional requirements for this (in the
> >   Tomcat documentation, go to "Functional Specs" under "Catalina")
> >   but it hasn't received much in the way of comment yet.
> >
> > What would *you* like to see happen?  (And what would *you* like to work
> > on to make it happen?  :-).
>
> Actually, I would be more in favor of releasing a 4.1 before that, focusing
> mostly on small refactorings of the core (like the error report refactoring
> I just did) and optimizations.
>
> More specifically, that would include:
> - the Service stuff (if done)
> - a Coyote connector (note: Coyote is the name I've chosen to designate half
> of what is currently the TC 3.3 core)
> - a HTTP/1.1 connector for Coyote
> - better mod_webapp

Better connectors...

mod_jk works with both TC3.3 and TC4.0.
A good enhancement is to add the WARP protocol to mod_jk.

> - fixes for all the compliance issues that need some refactoring (error
> report, response commit, ...)
>
> Such a release could happen relatively soon, and would provide a better
> basis for adding all the big new features mentioned above.
>
> Of course, we could decide that all the things mentioned above are small
> enough feature additions and refactorings so that they can be released as
> part of the 4.0.x branch.
>
> Note: Obviously, I'm in favor of more incremental but more frequent releases
> than what has been done in the past.
>
> Remy

Re: Tomcat next

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.
On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Remy Maucherat wrote:

> > What would *you* like to see happen?  (And what would *you* like to work
> > on to make it happen?  :-).

Cleaning up and modularizing the current 4.0 is probably the most
important thing to happen before any more features are added, and that's
what I would like to see happen.

> - a Coyote connector (note: Coyote is the name I've chosen to designate half
> of what is currently the TC 3.3 core)

+1 - using a common architecture for the lower-layer is great.

> - a HTTP/1.1 connector for Coyote

+0 ( I'm happy with Apache's implementation of 1.1, but would be a nice
module for 3.3 )

Costin

Re: Tomcat next

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Remy Maucherat" <rm...@home.com> wrote:

> Actually, I would be more in favor of releasing a 4.1 before that, focusing
> mostly on small refactorings of the core (like the error report refactoring
> I just did) and optimizations.
>
> More specifically, that would include:
> - the Service stuff (if done)
> - better mod_webapp

Replying since those two are on my plate... I believe those can go into a
4.0.x release too... I don't think we need to "schedule" them for 4.1, but
before than that...

    Pier

Re: Tomcat next

Posted by Remy Maucherat <rm...@home.com>.

Re: Tomcat next

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org> wrote:

> * Implementing a nice administration/configuration interface (as a
> web app), talking to server components through a JMX interface
> (so that Tomcat can be managed by any JMX compliant tool).  Some
> time ago I published some functional requirements for this (in the
> Tomcat documentation, go to "Functional Specs" under "Catalina")
> but it hasn't received much in the way of comment yet.

I like the JMX part of this one :)

    Pier

Re: Tomcat next

Posted by brian moseley <bc...@maz.org>.
On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:

> What would *you* like to see happen?  (And what would
> *you* like to work on to make it happen?  :-).

did you see my message about virtual host support for
authenticators and realms? :)

i will likely be able to put some time into it in the near
future, but i'd definitely like some feedback on my thoughts
before i consider it.

Re: Tomcat next

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Dave Oxley wrote:

> Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 22:59:55 +0100
> From: Dave Oxley <to...@hotmail.com>
> To: tomcat-dev@jakarta.apache.org
> Subject: Tomcat next
>
> Hi all,
>
> A couple of questions on future Tomcat releases:
>
> 1. Will there be a TC3.4 release or is 3.x obsolete after 3.3?

I don't know on this one.

> 2. Has TC4.0 been branched (i.e. has development started on TC4.1 or are you
> waiting for TC4.0.1 to branch?)

Yes, it has been branched ("tomcat_40_branch" is for 4.0.x).  The HEAD
branch can be used for new development and features.

> 3. Is there a list of planned features for TC4.1?

Hmm, the todo list doc looks like it got lost in the shuffle ...

Two big areas I'd like to see focus on (and where I and some of my
colleagues will definitely be spending some time) are:

* Major improvements to the JSP page compiler to improve the
  quality and performance of the code it generates, and to make
  the compiler itself more maintainable.  A high level requirements
  doc for my view of what this should include will be circulated soon.

* Implementing a nice administration/configuration interface (as a
  web app), talking to server components through a JMX interface
  (so that Tomcat can be managed by any JMX compliant tool).  Some
  time ago I published some functional requirements for this (in the
  Tomcat documentation, go to "Functional Specs" under "Catalina")
  but it hasn't received much in the way of comment yet.

What would *you* like to see happen?  (And what would *you* like to work
on to make it happen?  :-).

> Dave
> Dave@JungleMoss.com

Craig

Re: Tomcat next

Posted by Punky Tse <pu...@yahoo.com>.
> AFAIK there is no plan for a 3.4 release after 3.3 - that doesn't mean 3.x
> will be obsolete, just that the core is now stable and unlikely to
> change, except bugfixes.
>
> Having a stable core is essential for module development and for enhancing
> the current set of modules. Even if there are many improvements we can add
> to 3.3, I believe the benefit of keeping 3.3 stable is far bigger.
>
> It is not yet decided how we'll release the new modules, but the main
> idea is to keep the 'base' version as small and clean as possible, and
> all features to be 'add-ons', outside of the base distribution, and have
> only bug fixes in 3.3.x-releases.
>
> Costin

If the added modules and enhancement contribute significant additional
features to the existing 3.3,  I think it is better to call it 3.4 instead
if calling it 3.3.x.

Of course, before we officially call it 3.4, somebody must write a release
proposal first and having the proposal voted in the list. :-)

Punky

Re: Tomcat next

Posted by Bojan Smojver <bo...@binarix.com>.
cmanolache@yahoo.com wrote:

> Having a stable core is essential for module development and for enhancing
> the current set of modules. Even if there are many improvements we can add
> to 3.3, I believe the benefit of keeping 3.3 stable is far bigger.

Just to confirm this point, I've been running 3.3 CVS with mod_jk in my
production environment for quite some time now. If we care for it
properly, it might become one of those 'golden' releases ;-)

Bojan

Re: Tomcat next

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"cmanolache@yahoo.com" <cm...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It is not yet decided how we'll release the new modules, but the main
> idea is to keep the 'base' version as small and clean as possible, and
> all features to be 'add-ons', outside of the base distribution, and have
> only bug fixes in 3.3.x-releases.

(Dumb question)... What new modules are planned for 3.3? I seriously don't
know... :)

    Pier

Re: Tomcat next

Posted by cm...@yahoo.com.